2012 CX-9…Keep or send to wreckers?

We have a CX9 2012 with 310,000kms (195,000 miles) on the clock.

Always been reliable and no major issues. However, recently the check engine light came on and ran rough. Engine scan indicated ignition coil problem so we replaced all 6 ignition coils and spark plugs. This did not fix the problem and further Mazda scan indicated one of the injectors needs replacing. They recommended all 6 injectors be replaced. Along with this they recommended 2 x rear rocker covers need replacing due to an oil leak.

Mazda also indicated possible noise in transmission/transfer case which is a known fault on these vehicles.

My question is could anyone provide opinions or advice on whether they think it is worthwhile proceeding with this work?

I look at it that maybe the vehicle has just come to the end of its life as haven't seen many around with milage much higher than ours. I can get a bit of money from wreckers for vehicle vs outlaying more money to get it back on the road. The transmission/transfer potential noise concerns me. We are getting a new car so this would become a second car should we go ahead with the injector/rocker cover work and I'd be happy to get another couple of years out of it.

I look at it that maybe the vehicle has just come to the end of its life
I don't see enough to justify that, but it depends on your priorities: keep her running or upgrade to something newer.

Did you notice the transmission noise before the dealership pointed it out?

I don't see enough to justify that, but it depends on your priorities: keep her running or upgrade to something newer.

Did you notice the transmission noise before the dealership pointed it out?
Never noticed the transmission noise previously. Sometimes it clunks when changing from reverse to drive, but that has happened since we've had it.

I guess I'm working out if this models life expectancy is say 320,000km then probably not worth keeping her running. If however, there are examples of the model lasting until 400,000km or so then it probably is worth doing the work.

The transfer case oil has never been changed.

if the transfer case fail you can always drive it in 2wd. Seems like they don't really know what they are searching for though, they want to slap parts on it until the missfire stops. What is the price for the job they mentionned?

If you haven't replaced the oil in the transfer case, you have a FWD car now.

There are people with Ford Edges (which has basically the same engine) that have gone 200k+ miles. I don't know how common it is but it is not unheard of.

I'd check what the trade in value is and see if the repair costs are approaching this. Used values for older cars have declined steeply from the pandemic highs.

I just had to make this decision. I sent mine to the auto auction today. 2010, only ~120k miles. Ultimately, too much has gone wrong to make it worth fixing:
1. I am getting the same intermittent rough running, but no check engine light. Probably a coil going bad or maybe an injector.
2. Blind spot monitors died. Mazda wants absurd money for these. I've lived with the "BSM OFF" flashing light for a while.
3. TPMS sensor died, right after buying a new set of tires. Another light on the dashboard.
4. Nail in tire (not the one with the bad TPMS, unfortunately).
5. Rust. Oh the rust. Roof has developed holes near the rear liftgate hinges. Didn't notice because the car sat undriven during the pandemic.
6. Brake caliper seized (this was the nail in the coffin).

Altogether, the bill for this added up to more than the car was worth, so I got rid of it.

Short answer which is also a question... how much are you willing to throw at it before it wouldn't make sense anymore? To me, it's not worth it especially it won't be your primary. You still have to register and insure the car so might as well get rid of it because problems will only get more and more with this age and mileage.

if the transfer case fail you can always drive it in 2wd. Seems like they don't really know what they are searching for though, they want to slap parts on it until the missfire stops. What is the price for the job they mentionned?
Yeah, our regular mechanic used his diagnostic tool and it said injection coil fault. So we replaced all 6 coils as he said if one is on way out then others may follow due to similar age. We also did spark plugs at same time as these were getting on. Unfortunately, the fault code was still coming up after this work. We decided to take to Mazda dealer and have them scan as better equipment. That's when they identified problem with injector number 6 and recommended replace all 6 injectors plus fix oil leak from rocker gasket covers to get back on the road. The technician that drove car also identified a possible noise from the transfer case/transmission. 1k to replace all injectors and fix 2 x rocker gasket covers. Mazda wanted 4k.

There are people with Ford Edges (which has basically the same engine) that have gone 200k+ miles. I don't know how common it is but it is not unheard of.

I'd check what the trade in value is and see if the repair costs are approaching this. Used values for older cars have declined steeply from the pandemic highs.

I just had to make this decision. I sent mine to the auto auction today. 2010, only ~120k miles. Ultimately, too much has gone wrong to make it worth fixing:
1. I am getting the same intermittent rough running, but no check engine light. Probably a coil going bad or maybe an injector.
2. Blind spot monitors died. Mazda wants absurd money for these. I've lived with the "BSM OFF" flashing light for a while.
3. TPMS sensor died, right after buying a new set of tires. Another light on the dashboard.
5. Rust. Oh the rust. Roof has developed holes near the rear liftgate hinges. Didn't notice because the car sat undriven during the pandemic.

Altogether, the bill for this added up to more than the car was worth, so I got rid of it.
Trade in was value of wreckers $500. Work to get back on the road is around $1k. But potential noise in transfer case/transmission hanging over.

Around 1k. 6 x injectors and 2 x rocker gasket covers.

It's basically at 200k miles now. It has been bullet proof until this issue.

Short answer which is also a question... how much are you willing to throw at it before it wouldn't make sense anymore? To me, it's not worth it especially it won't be your primary. You still have to register and insure the car so might as well get rid of it because problems will only get more and more with this age and mileage.
I guess that's the thing. Already thrown a bit at it and where do you draw the line. I'd be happy to spend the 1k if another 2-3 years out of it. But the mechanics comment about potential noise from transfer case/transmission concerns me.

1k. That's all in. Me buying the 6 x injectors and supplying. Labour to swap them out and also install 2 x new rocker gasket covers.

I guess that's the thing. Already thrown a bit at it and where do you draw the line. I'd be happy to spend the 1k if another 2-3 years out of it. But the mechanics comment about potential noise from transfer case/transmission concerns me.
If your mechanic can give you that guarantee in writing that X dollars = X more years then yes. But again, age and mileage, a lot of components can fail and probably are already failing so it's not a wise gamble IMO.

Back