first oil change for my rx8

KYLiquid said:
here is they way I look at it :

you follow all the instructions from mazda/the owners manual to the T, oil changes every 5k or 7500 miles (depending on conditions) and use dyno oil : you have 0 problems with warranty claims that come up durring your 4 years/50k miles with the car. After that, when the motor say...craps out at 80k miles cause of excesive wear to the engine internals......you dont have a warranty anyway...so who cares.

you change the oil ever 3k miles or less, use a good quality syn oil. If you do have any problems with the warranty durring the 4yr/50k miles....you get them to prove that synthetic oil caused the problem, and when the warranty is up...you know you are using the best possible oil there is, so you are less likely to run into problems in the future.

Sure the cat is expensive (1300 retail I belive) and the o2 sensors are also expensive (I think 500 each retail, and there are 3 of them). First off, if you drive the car (and I mean DRIVE it, push it sometimes, run good fuel, keep it in tune, rev it up, give it a good ammount of redline and WOT) then you shouldnt have any problems, as Ive said above. Also, as far as the cat goes...there are aftermarket replacements for a few hundred dollars, that not only keep the car emissions legal, but also improve performance.....you could even pick up a stock cat 2nd hand from someone who replaced it with something else.

anyway, im done talking about it, you can do what you want

ok so by your logic, I should use synthetic oil... HOWEVER the only way to even partially guarantee I wont ruin cats/o2 sensors, I have to run (on the street mind you) WOT to redline all the time? which isnt likely as most people dont have the ability to race the car every chance they get. In the event that it might cause damage I could be out up to $2800 (that being if the apex seals dont cause compression issues and need replacement). BUT thats not all.

I might have to FIGHT with the dealer to prove that synthetic oil wasnt the cause of any engine troubles? (boom02)

(rofl)

ummm no thanks...

personally it would be rotary oil or 5w20 DINO (not dyno :p) oil for me. They dont recommend reg. oil for no reason... if syn. oil was proven better, then theyd recommend it.

KYLiquid said:
I know of a few vendors/shops that carry or can get Idemitsu (spelling?) as well as RE-Amemiya branded oil (i heard it is just idemitsu re labled and sold at a higher price).

do they have online websites?

damn, quite a few rotary oils here, so happy we have the choice, amemiya, re engineering, trust, the list goes on

ProjectFD3S said:
damn, quite a few rotary oils here, so happy we have the choice, amemiya, re engineering, trust, the list goes on

yeah, the rotary never caught on here in the states.....so a lot of the vendors specific to the RX_ dont really have vendors in the US. Even the vendors that are over here that have RX_ parts dont stock a lot of them, or it takes a while to get.

Its a let down for fans of the car/motor.....even with the problems ive had with them I still love the motor, and the whole car culture that revolves around the rotary.

Back