First gen Mazda 6 Ford motor swap~~

boahx

:
Mx-6 KLZE TURBO
I'm trying 2 figure out what year of Ford motor I can put into a 2004 mazda 6 V6. Would it be the Ford 500 & freestyle? Also what year would drop right in w/o issues also I see some models are AWD clearly an 2004 Mazda 6 isn't AWD. 3.0L Duratec motor. I'm going this route because wreckers love to charge 5 times more for a jap. motor then a domesitc. most of them don't realize that most cars use the same motor Jap. & dom.

Also are the trans. the same I need one in MTX. (stoned)

any of them with a duratec. taurus's are the most common as they have been using that motor in them since the late 90's. none will bolt right in as mazda uses there own version of heads and intake mani. so you would just use the block of the ford motor, and use your original mazda top end.

YIKES that's LAME I don't want 2 replace the head bolts on the new motor I'm going swap on. Yah I'm looking 2 buy a blown motor mazda 6 & swap with a ford motor. That really sux it doesn't drop in!

if I reused the head bolt & used a lot of lock tight would you think that would work? Also do you know of a link that has a tear down & rebuild of mazda 6?

if I reused the head bolt & used a lot of lock tight would you think that would work? Also do you know of a link that has a tear down & rebuild of mazda 6?

NO the head bolts stretch which is why every states to use NEW hardware. Thats also a good way to have to tear into the motor again shortly down the road.

Last edited:
ok that's 4 the tips yah it's like 20 bux from rockauto for new head bolts anyways. about 100 bux for new head gaskets. Does anyone know where else to get head gaskets cheaper then 45 each side? Also what year can I see a ford 500 also I see some of them come in AWD can I still use the bottem end block for it ? Or does it have 2 be a 2wd???? Thanks..

if you just want to drop the motor directly in. its going to have to be a mazda motor. like i already said. any ford will have a majorly different top end that will not work. check out the mazda 6 club .com forum. there is threads and threads covering this.

you either need a full mazda engine, or to use a ford low end, with your original mazda top end. there is no other option.

So like a 2004/2008 Ford 500 engine but I can simply use the bottem end of the of those years correct? Thats my plan on rebuilding it.

the easiest and cheapest is from the taurus. they used the 3.0 duratec from 1995 till they became the ford 500. any would have a good base to swap too.

no clue where you got that from. but the motors are the same across all years. so 99 wouldnt be any easier then a 96 or a 05. there all the same.

Ok so I know this is somewhat of an old post but I joined just to say that monoxide, your a dumb ass...there is a diffrence in the duratec motors and they are not all the same....not one bit.....96-98 duratec motors didn't have VVT, which the Mazda 6 does, a 99 motor would be ideal bc you can ether do VVT on the heads but it is not required, but 99-02 are the same block codes XW4E, and then you have the block codes for 03-05 which is 3W4E.....ether the 99-02 or the 03-05 blocks will do but the 99-02 blocks are more versatile than the 03-05 blocks....there is a huge difference between not only the blocks but how the motor works as well....my advice to people who don't know what thy are talking about.....don't talk about it unless you know for sure.....oh and in order to still be able to use your tranny out of your Mazda 6 you would have to use the 99-05 blocks as they have the proper holes and what not on the block to be able to link up properly

Latest posts

Back