Finished one project now its the mazdas turn need advice

anywereiroam

:
02 p5
I just finished my camaro and now i want to move to the mazda.
i was orginally going to get an fc rx7 and drop my ls motor but decided to put that off and give my protege some lovin!
My Protege is a daily driver so i don't want to go to crazy, You mite ask why would i want to mod my daily driver.
Well why the hell not?! So far all ive done to it is tint the windows 5% all around
make my shifter shorter and remove the rear muffler. I love the car its great on gas, reliable and its not bad looking either! But recently i live in the rockies mountains and realized this car kinda sucks commuting every day in this moutainous region sucks.

So ive decided to mod the motor for more power. Ive been looking into cams, headers, full exhaust, Cai, mp3 Ecu. But after thinking id probably spend more money doing this then turbo and i wouldnt be happy with the power gains from all bolt ons. I know i can source all the parts i would need for real cheap! And not cheap ebay crap. my list is pretty much the parts in the sticky on thinking of turbocharging your 2.0 fs.

Id figure id a work on my motor since its in good shape and does not burn oil instead of finding a 2.0fs at a junkyard or craigslist and using that for the turbo project then dropping it in.

Now i know the protege will never be as fast as my camaro or come close to my old evo power but id figure it wont hurt if my car had more balls!

id also figure it would be a fun project to do and also a great chance to get my sisters into the performance world as the both own proteges as well!

I know other members have done a turbo set up and id appreciate it if they would chime in on this

Whats the most power you could get and still be reliable for daily driving? Do you feel it was a waste of time and money or are you happy with your results?

IM just trying to figure out if i should pull the trigger on this project and get it going or just scrap the idea an stick to my ls powered fc.

Depends if you want to drift. If you want to drift, and have a rarer car, I'd go with the rx7. If you want a quick daily that handles, go with the protege. Good luck. Make a build thread if you do build either of them!

Decided to turbo the pro and so far I picked up this item!
An obx turbo manifold. T3 flange I think. I didn't want external
Waste get and wanted a Mazda speed manifold but eh it'll do.
Now to figure out what turbo and waste gate you use!
2i0g2ew.jpg

Last edited:
It was nice out so I decided to see what this would look like
I'm still undecided on what turbo to use
I also got around to getting a new bumper
bewx14.jpg

1977yg.jpg

Last edited:
Back