Finally some Mazdaspeed 3 info

Iggy

:
2003 Mazda Protege ES
just saw this at www.evo.co.uk. its the website for a british car magazine

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=350 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Mazdas Ready To Turn Up The Heat
1pix.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
letter_a.gif

raft of bespoke Mazda Performance Series (MPS) models are being prepared for Britain. There will be a hot 240bhp four-wheel-drive MPS3, based on the 3, and priced around 18,000. It goes on sale in early 2006, and will have a turbo 2.3-litre engine and borrow Ford's AWD system used on the Volvo V50. Kicking the range off will be a 280bhp MPS6, on sale early next year costing 20,000.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

thought you guys would like to know

still too expensive, you can get a maxima for less then that and pushing like 265 hp, I would say have the 3 priced about 20-23 and 6 for 25-28. (US)

No with the current exchange rate 18000 british pounds equals almost $32,000.

Keep in mind that the Mazda3 with the 2.0L in the UK is 15,500 pounds which converts to some $27,000.

If a top model, without many options (like the Mazdaspeeds) sells for $18,000 and you add the $5,000 difference you're looking at only $23,000.

$23,000 seems a little low, I'd guess it'd MSRP around $25k-$27k. That is if we get that same model.

yeah,r eally guys...Brits get screwed on car prices. Im pretty sure the regular wrx(non-STi) is something like $42KUSD over there.

there is a 19% sales tax on vehicles in the UK and they pay an additional 22% import tax. for the current Mazda 3 at say $16,000, they would pay an equivalent of $22,560. Taxes are a b****, but it ain't our problems, it's theirs. I'll let you do the math for the MazdaSpeed prices.

18K isn't that bad. Factoring in the higher standard of living, thats only about $18k here. Which is freaking sweet. Its weird how some cars are much cheaper there. For example, I bought a 320i for 5K and an XJ8 for 7500. Used of course, but a new accord was 20K.

the prices on cars and gas are also the reason most people drive those tiny little cars there, like the 3cyl tiny mofos that started the tend for mini coopers and such. Its just a necessity for cost and so forth over there.

Also Jags are built in England so obviously they wont have to pay their import taxes on those and thats why they are more affordable. I love jags, my dad has worked for their hot weather test facility in AZ for 15+ yrs now and I always loved going to the test facility to drive all their supercharged cars. I must say the XKR-R is one of the sweetest car I have ever had the pleasure of even being next to, let alone driving.

interesting. But it's what we've been hearing for a good year now. As for pricing. This is something I'm a little worried about. 240bhp, awd, I can just imagine how much $$$$$. Part of the reason why I sold the mp3 and got into the msp so soon was I figured that the Mazdaspeed 3's would be much more $$$ and probably not worth it or beyond my reach. If money was no object, I'd get a Mazdaspeed 6 long before I got a 3. The 3 looks so much sexier.

Keep in mind that the Mazda3 with the 2.0L in the UK is 15,500 pounds which converts to some $27,000.

If a top model, without many options (like the Mazdaspeeds) sells for $18,000 and you add the $5,000 difference you're looking at only $23,000.

$23,000 seems a little low, I'd guess it'd MSRP around $25k-$27k. That is if we get that same model.

I am glad SOMEBODY is capable of lateral thinking instead of just plugging 18K into a currency convertor.

On the down side I can't see an MPS model getting over here. At least Mazda is doing SOMETHING SOMEWHERE.

mp3moose said:
18K isn't that bad. Factoring in the higher standard of living, thats only about $18k here.
i don't know if i am reading your post correctly. are you saying that 18k is about $18K? if so, then you are dreaming. the exchange rate as of today is $1.762 per 1. As stated earlier by someone, 18K is about $32K.

BrewMaster said:
i don't know if i am reading your post correctly. are you saying that 18k is about $18K? if so, then you are dreaming. the exchange rate as of today is $1.762 per 1. As stated earlier by someone, 18K is about $32K.

You have to factor in more than exchange rates. For example the Ford Focus costs almost 21K US DOLLARS in the UK (NOT POUNDS, DOLLARS). You can get one here for 15K. There are more than simple exchange rates involved. This is not a John Grisham novel you bought at Heathrow airport.

He is not saying that 18K British pounds is equal to 18K US dollars. He is saying that car pricing is different in the UK and simply converting Lbs to Dollars is a very equivocal and subjective (READ: INCORRECT) way of pricing a british car.

Last edited:
Yes, $18K is no where near 18K in sterling, but the cost of living is much higher and thus jobs pay more according to that higher economy. For example a CD is around $15 here; well its 15 pounds there. Actual value is higher for the CD there, but its still the same CD with the same relative cost.

As Atreyu said, you can't just convert and assume thats the cost of the car if it ever comes to the states. N doubt it probably will be more than $18k here, but certainly not 32.

Back