Finally got one after 3 years!

:
2014 Mazda 5 Sport 6MT
Three years ago after our first child was born, I had a Chevy HHR SS 5MT with the LSD. It was fun but tiny. A month into parenthood I found the size very annoying so we went minivan shopping. We looked at the Sienna SE and Mazda 5. We really liked the 5 but there were no Grand Touring's in sight and we decided to purchase another vehicle before they were stocked anywhere. This was when the second gen 5 first came out so incentives weren't very good. We ended up trading in my HHR for a 2011 VW Routan SE with nav and rear seat entertainment. Picked that up for $29,500 with 0% for 72 months so we were happy with the size and price.

But, after our second child, we found out we didn't need or even use all the space in the cRoutan. We didn't bring the pack and play everywhere, or the bouncer or anything else, just the kids. So under the guise of buying a project car for my side gig (Automotive Freelancer for Tom's Hardware), my wife agreed to let me buy a 5, and will ultimately sell her cRoutan when she learns to drive stick.

So Tuesday night I picked up a 2014 Mazda 5 Sport 6MT from South Tacoma Mazda for $1000 under invoice with 0% for 60 months. So far I'm quite happy with it. Its a fun, peppy little car that handles and responds very well. I hate to say it but I've driven it more than the 2015 Subaru STI I have this week for my press car rotation. The STI is fun but I'm too old for the stiffness. (I'm 27 for those that are wondering).

I have a lot of plans for the car, mostly related to tech installs. They will be used as guides and reviews on Tom's Hardware. My first idea is to rig up a wireless charger for my Nexus 5 in the cubby below the shifter if there's room. Otherwise I'd like to find springs and brakes from a Mazdaspeed 3, the Miata Club Sport 17" wheels and Katzskin leather with heated and massaging seats. I will take it to the track one day :).

So far it has 20% tint all around. I'm going to plastidip all the badges, not sure if I want to do black or gunmetal, but I really hate chrome.

Here are the pics so far.

1925249_10100815987057450_407663076_n.jpg

1890981_10100815987087390_566666561_n.jpg

1932399_10100815987132300_126580105_n.jpg

988800_10100815987157250_1600515408_n.jpg

Welcome aboard.

Please resist plasti dipping the “M” log to look like the batman logo and avoid the murdered out look. Chrome is a touchy subject. It’s either luxury or ghetto, there really isn’t any in-between. Hope to see all of your plans come to fruition. Rims with better tires + RSB is a good start.

Welcome aboard.

Please resist plasti dipping the “M” log to look like the batman logo and avoid the murdered out look. Chrome is a touchy subject. It’s either luxury or ghetto, there really isn’t any in-between. Hope to see all of your plans come to fruition. Rims with better tires + RSB is a good start.

I'm covering the whole thing :p Not going for murdered. I don't tint tail lights or head lights, just remove all chrome and keep it clean.

But, after our second child, we found out we didn't need or even use all the space in the Routan. ...

Welcome aboard and I can recall those days.

Kid #1 = Bring damn near everything under the moon. Try to fit the whole house in the car for a trip next door.

Kid #2 = Bottle of formula in one hand, kid in the other. Diaper or two with some wipes in a zip-loc bag stuffed in my pocket. Leave all that other s*** at home.

Kid #1 = Bring damn near everything under the moon. Try to fit the whole house in the car for a trip next door.

Kid #2 = Bottle of formula in one hand, kid in the other. Diaper or two with some wipes in a zip-loc bag stuffed in my pocket. Leave all that other s*** at home.

Amen brother!

By the time its kid #3, you hand #1 all the stuff and grab the youngest and try not to forget #2.

(cryhard) truth! I took a kid on a weekend trip and didn't even bother with a back pack. Wore the same undies for 2 days, used disposable sippies, and looked for whole foods.

Do you have your own section at Tom's or something? I haven't been there other than the news feed for months, it'd be great if they brought some new stuff in.

Last edited:
For some reason I like the dipped badge on the front, but not the rear. (shrug)

Yea, that's what I'm thinking. Might do black for the rear. Are there any places I can just order a predone black one? I really don't want to have to repaint it lol.

I like it! I wanna spray the emblem on the steering wheel... it's just at the right angle to reflect sunlight in my eyes while driving around.

I have a pearl white Mazda5 and a set of black rims with my summer tires. I've been giving some serious thought to spray painting or plasti-dipping my chrome badges. It's going to be 10 below zero tonight though, so I'd better wait till spring.

Rims And Tires Laid Out 01.jpg
After 03.jpg
After 01.jpg

Back