few questions on sattelite radio -> europe

nehvada

:
Mazda5 2,0ltr Automatic 7seat
her in europe they dont sell sattelite radios for cars. neither the car manufacturers nor any aftermarket company.

so i am courious how to get it working in europe/germany. we have hundreds of free to air sattelite radio stations, no subscriptions required. these i can listen at home on my tv for free.

i heard that in the us you need the sirius subscription to receive the radio stations. so here are the questions:

- do you need that subsription to get the sat radio working? so without it will not work at all?

or

- is it that you might be able to receive some free radio stations without the subscription? (or any hack available, as if i would use it in germany i will not break any laws or contracts)

- do you know an aftermarket company which sells sattelite radio units which are able to receive FTA radio stations?

i just found this accessory at kenwood:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Accessories/KCA-XM100V

so with this i will only need the mini tuner and antenna. but i still will need a subscription, right? if so, if i would just take the cheapest subscription will i then be able to rceive some additional fre stations? maybe it will work than with the free stations in europe?

Last edited:
Sirius XM Satellite Radio only works over the US, Canada, and about 200 miles from each US coast. The satellites are stationary over the US so it will not work in europe.

I am not sure how the system works over in Germany, but I assume you would need the correct tuner. I would advise contacting your local car stereo shop to see if they can help

Sirius XM Satellite Radio only works over the US, Canada, and about 200 miles from each US coast. The satellites are stationary over the US so it will not work in europe.

i know, but thats not the question. we have enough satellites over here in germany. the question is: will the us-satellite radio be able to receive our free radio stations?

.....I am not sure how the system works over in Germany, but I assume you would need the correct tuner. I would advise contacting your local car stereo shop to see if they can help

they cant help because, like i stated above, there are no satellite radios existing in europe. so i am trying to get the us unit working.

maybe if someone can provide some informations on frequencies of the us satellite stations i could compare if they use similar frequencies as the ones in europe.

Well..... Here's one possible way - The Internet....

By that I mean a CarPC. If you have high speed internet over your mobile phone, you can connect it to your CarPC for access. I believe you can have an internet account for XM/Sirius. I do (apart of my overall account), but I don't remember if I access the page while in Germany, back then the ALMS was on on XM/Sirius like it is now and there was no reason to follow Radio Le Mans other than directly through their web site.

Anyway, you might be able to access sat radio that way. That is one way to get Internet Radio as well.

Something to consider...

thanks for the effort trying to help me, but again, thats not the question.

i dont want sirius sattelite stations

i dont want internet radio over mobile phone

but

i want german satellite radio stations on my radio. because here you cant get any satellite device for your car (except you want a 20" dish on your roof for tv and everything) i would like to buy a sirius device and with or without contract try to receive german satellite stations on it.

one further question which might lead to a solution:

if you have a contract on sirius will you be able to receive (in addition to the sirus channels) all free satellite radio stations as well? or is it restricted to only the sirius stations? are there any free-to-air radio stations in the us over satellite?

You want to listen to German Radio in your car or did you want to listen us based sat radio in Germany???

You can only do this online at the moment. There is no sat radio service I europe that I know of. So you would have to access this online. The only way to do this while moving is to use a gsm modem or cell phone.

There are no free to air sat radio stations... just ota (over the air) stations online.

wrong.

i can receive hundreds of free radio stations with my satellite receiver at home. these are the stations i would like to listen to in my car.

i would be able to receive them if i would buy a car-pc and a satellite dish, the ones that you see on large RVs. but i dont want a car-pc and i dont want a big dish on my roof. thats why i would prefer a smal sirius device with its inbuild antenna.

wrong.

i can receive hundreds of free radio stations with my satellite receiver at home. these are the stations i would like to listen to in my car.

i would be able to receive them if i would buy a car-pc and a satellite dish, the ones that you see on large RVs. but i dont want a car-pc and i dont want a big dish on my roof. thats why i would prefer a smal sirius device with its inbuild antenna.

Well as far as I know there's no device for that. In Europe radio isn't edited like it is in the states. The biggest draw in the US and Canada for Sat Radio is no adverts and no censorship. Two problems that largely aren't a problem in Europe, having listen to the radio in Norway and Germany before.

Sat Radio is just more choice mostly and I would imagining there isn't a huge calling for in-car Sat Radio. We also tend to spend more time in the car in the US.

Good luck on finding a solution...

Back