Fender - roller in Chicago/North suburbs?

CosmoMS3

:
MAZDASPEED3, CX5 manual
Anybody who could help me with rolling my rear fenders around Chicago? I only need 1/4 of inch or less. Too much of a hassle with renting/shipping the tools.

Thank you.

I've seen the bat technique write up on like import tuner mag or one of those mags. Since your only going a 1/4 inch

I got this off a BMW site:
It may help.

Well today GIO_21 and I were bored, so we adjusted my coilovers and washed the cars, then sat and did nothing... after realizing that both of our cars had rubbing problems in the rear, we decided to roll our fenders, hehe.

Step 1: Remove the filling under the fender

Our cars have this rubberish filling between the fender and lip preventing the fender from being rolled competely. You have to remove as much of it as you can in order to begin rolling. We used a small flathead and an hours worth of elbow grease to get it most of it out. My car was a pain in the ass since I had so much of the filling, and it was so hard to come out. GIO's car had less filling and it came out with the touch of a finger, lucky bastard, lol. Well anyways, just get as much out as possible so that you can feel the sharp edge of the fender. You have to jack up your car and put it on a jackstand to work at it, unless you want to just remove your wheel.

Step 2: Find an old baseball bat and some fat friends

Luckily Gio plays baseball, so he had a ton of bats, we just grabbed an old beat up one.

Jack the car up and place the bat between the tire and fender, then lower the jack completely so that the bat is now stuck between the tire and fender. Make sure you place the bat at either the front or rear of the rear fender.

Open your trunk and get a few of your bigger buddies to sit on the trunk ledge so that the car sinks and puts even more pressure on the bat between the tire and fender.

Step 3: Roll it!

Find a trustworthy friend and have him hold the bat and press down on it, getting it as vertical as possible. Turn on your car and keep the door or window open so you can communicate with your trusty friend. If you placed the bat at the front of the fender, but your car in reverse and slowly roll it backwards while your trusty friend pressed the bat and moves with it as it rolls along the fender backwards. Do the same if you placed the bat at the rear of the fender, except with the car in 1st gear or Drive if you have a step.

Repeat this about 3 or 4 times. Jack up your car and remove the bat. Your fender should now be rolled!

Some people may consider this way cheap and stupid, but it definatley worked for us, and it saved us the time and money of getting it done at a shop. Our fenders did not have any paint crack or anything, and there was no visible difference outside. However, the metal under the fender is now rolled upwards noticeably, and we both no longer have rubbing problems

hey cosmo u need a fender roll? i have a fender roller that you can use and im pretty close to your area. send me a PM if u wanna work somethin out.

either that or p&l motorsports does it and if you go on nasioc there is a guy on there that has a roller.

this method sounds ghetto as all hell, but next to the cost of doing it the "right way" its pretty attractive... and i NEED to get my fenders rolled. bumps are cuttin my tires cuz the dumbass that put rims on the car before I bought it got em too wide.

yeah if you do a google search there is a pretty good write up using pvc pipe. It's what I used cause i'm cheap. Worked pretty damn well

I would be scared of the PVC pipe cracking mid roll.
M6RACER seems to be giving him the right way hook-up. Cool beans!

Shittiest job ever - don't go to One6 motorsport

After m6racer failed to respond to my PM about meeting, I took my car today to One6 motorsport to have my rear fenders rolled.

I had an appointment for 12:00 PM so I get in the shop only to be ignored for about 10 minutes while the employee was talking to a customer about why the police pulled him over. Eventually he took my keys and took the car in.

I waited 2 hours in the heat (the shop did not have any AC running) going in and out the shop. It was so hot inside I spent most of the time outside in direct sunlight. After about an hour I asked one of the guys if it will take a lot longer and he told me "Yes, I didn't even start working on it".

Bottom line, after 2 hours they get the car out and the paint on fenders (above the wheel) is all cracked with the metal showing in couple of spots. There is no 1/4 of inch where the paint is not cracked or chipped. Obviously they were in a big hurry to get the job done in 5 minutes and did not heat the paint at all. I would have been happy to heat it up myself but they refused to let me inside the garage where the car was.

I attached a few poor quality pictures (I only have a basic digital camera). They managed somehow to bend the fender in 2 spots (the area circled in red in the picture) and that is pretty visible.

I have some touch-up paint Mazda sent me last year, but I do not know if it will help with all the cracked paint.

I would appreciate any piece of advise about how to protect the fenders from rusting. Once cracked, can you recover that paint?

Thank you.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 137
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 128
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 132
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 139
Forgot the price

I paid $95 for what they did. Before I left I mentioned all the cracked/missing paint and they said: "It it impossible to roll a fender without cracking the paint!"

really sorry about not getting back to you. its been a really hectic week for me so i havent had the time to get onto the forum.

Last edited:
Well since you were a paying customer, it seems to me they need to repair what they ****** up. Did you make you sign something stating any damage caused by them doing this is your problem, if not I suggest you talk to manager and then the owner and have it resolved. it needs to be sanded and repainted so it won't rust. and it needs to be on their dollar.
We all know rolling fenders has it's issues. But when done carefully and properly the risk goes down considerably.

**** thats terrible. Id get my money back or at least have them fix the paint, mark seems like a nice guy.

I rolled the s*** out of my fenders and had no paint cracking. BUT then I also had to flair the fenders out a bit and then they started to crack like that but man I was really pulling on them.

After m6racer failed to respond to my PM about meeting, I took my car today to One6 motorsport to have my rear fenders rolled.

I had an appointment for 12:00 PM so I get in the shop only to be ignored for about 10 minutes while the employee was talking to a customer about why the police pulled him over. Eventually he took my keys and took the car in.

I waited 2 hours in the heat (the shop did not have any AC running) going in and out the shop. It was so hot inside I spent most of the time outside in direct sunlight. After about an hour I asked one of the guys if it will take a lot longer and he told me "Yes, I didn't even start working on it".

Bottom line, after 2 hours they get the car out and the paint on fenders (above the wheel) is all cracked with the metal showing in couple of spots. There is no 1/4 of inch where the paint is not cracked or chipped. Obviously they were in a big hurry to get the job done in 5 minutes and did not heat the paint at all. I would have been happy to heat it up myself but they refused to let me inside the garage where the car was.

I attached a few poor quality pictures (I only have a basic digital camera). They managed somehow to bend the fender in 2 spots (the area circled in red in the picture) and that is pretty visible.

I have some touch-up paint Mazda sent me last year, but I do not know if it will help with all the cracked paint.

I would appreciate any piece of advise about how to protect the fenders from rusting. Once cracked, can you recover that paint?

Thank you.

Probably should have made an appointment and left the car. Common sense. Anyone in a rush is going to do a s*** job.

Back