Feeling Unsafe Now.....

I have the same issue. From a stop I hit the gas, either half or full and I can count to 4 before I get full turbo and my head is stuck in my headrest. So... I have to make sure I have at least 4 seconds extra - so someone posted that turbo lag is only a 1/2 second? My CX-7 is currently in the shop getting the lag update so i will test it out before i leave. So... If it is more than 1/2 second then I should tell them there is something else wrong? I have filled it up twice with 91 and it has around 500 miles on it

As stated before, the lag is only about 1/2sec to 1sec at the max. Anything more and there is something else wrong.

Ok, if it is still 3-4 seconds then i will NOT settle for the term "that is normal turbo lag"
man, i would love the CX7 more if it had a 1/2 - 1 second turbo lag!

I had mine reflashed in May ....noticeable difference coming right out of the service department.

I have the same issue. From a stop I hit the gas, either half or full and I can count to 4 before I get full turbo and my head is stuck in my headrest. So... I have to make sure I have at least 4 seconds extra - so someone posted that turbo lag is only a 1/2 second? My CX-7 is currently in the shop getting the lag update so i will test it out before i leave. So... If it is more than 1/2 second then I should tell them there is something else wrong? I have filled it up twice with 91 and it has around 500 miles on it
Back from dealer make sure they update the transmission shifting thats what was causing alot of my delay problems........its still there but now its more predictable....so far so good!it just took five .....im mean FIVE visits to the shop for this.:mad:

I'll try to get a vid showing acceleration from a dig and post it for everyone. Should give a nice benchmark for what you should expect. I'll also make sure to get one with TCS off and a hard launch.

So other than brake-revving, is the best way to get a good start

1) getting the reflash
2) turning TCS off (why?)
3) not flooring it immediately - but half accelerator at first

How about the 'learning transmission' ? Mine jumps down at least 2 and sometimes 3 gears now whenever I floor it while cruising. It will stay in 5th all the way to 160 until I let off the gas. I suppose that's typical. If I let it, it'll go way out of its power band into the high revs, I have to let up a bit on the gas to let it shift up. It's way different from when I first got it.

For the record, after the reflash my lag is in the 0.5 to 1 second range also. When bond007taz says it takes 4 seconds to get to full turbo - do you mean maximum boost or just the point where you start to get some acceleration?

Reflash for those listed under the TSB is a must!

Turn TCS off because it tends to sense wheel slip (on FWD models at least) and cuts power for a second. Basically falls on it's face during the launch.

I usually do 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. WOT just doesn't seem to have the power that 1/2 to 3/4 does.

The transmission shift points are a joke if you are flooring it. It should shift around 5000-5500rpm to stay somewhat in the power band but it won't unless you lift off a little or have it in manual mode. Time for a bigger turbo. (thumb)

Come on...do people even test drive cars anymore? You didn't notice the turbo lag before buying it? Have you ever driven a turbo vehicle? If you need to floor it every time you pull out into traffic, you're probably cutting someone off.

I have never never ever had a problem with the excelleration of this vehicle. Can it scoot off the line like my G6? No. What about my Explorer? Yeah...it'll crush that but you don't hear people on the Explorer forums saying...jeez, my car only has 160hp and it weighs 4500lbs...the torque lag makes me want Ford to buy it back. Get a grip...every car drives different and if your intention was to flog the crap out of the car off every stop sign, light, yield sign...then this was and is the wrong car for you.

Sorry...rant off now.

For the record, after the reflash my lag is in the 0.5 to 1 second range also. When bond007taz says it takes 4 seconds to get to full turbo - do you mean maximum boost or just the point where you start to get some acceleration?

that is when i get some accerlation, during the 4 seconds i am barely moving

Come on...do people even test drive cars anymore? You didn't notice the turbo lag before buying it? Have you ever driven a turbo vehicle? If you need to floor it every time you pull out into traffic, you're probably cutting someone off.

I have never never ever had a problem with the excelleration of this vehicle. Can it scoot off the line like my G6? No. What about my Explorer? Yeah...it'll crush that but you don't hear people on the Explorer forums saying...jeez, my car only has 160hp and it weighs 4500lbs...the torque lag makes me want Ford to buy it back. Get a grip...every car drives different and if your intention was to flog the crap out of the car off every stop sign, light, yield sign...then this was and is the wrong car for you.

Sorry...rant off now.

your rant is understandable, you have noobs in here talking about the turbo lag and bad acceleration. I did test drive my vehicle before I purchased it but I thought the turbo lag was normal so I didnt say anything until I read that it should only be a second and not 4 seconds. So where am I going wrong asking if 4 seconds is bad? LOL, i forgot to tell my wife about the 4 second lag and she nearly bit my head off when she got home with the 2 year old after she had a close call when she tried crossing the road with heavy traffic. OK - my bad for not researching the 4 second lag...

your rant is understandable, you have noobs in here talking about the turbo lag and bad acceleration. I did test drive my vehicle before I purchased it but I thought the turbo lag was normal so I didnt say anything until I read that it should only be a second and not 4 seconds. So where am I going wrong asking if 4 seconds is bad? LOL, i forgot to tell my wife about the 4 second lag and she nearly bit my head off when she got home with the 2 year old after she had a close call when she tried crossing the road with heavy traffic. OK - my bad for not researching the 4 second lag...[/QUOTE Or like me and my wife we did not punch it and see this problem...and yes its a PROBLEM at least us with wives,MAZDA is of course aware of this my local shop manager at MAZDA admitted to me he second guesses pulling out into traffic himself,all though we did a comparision with the dealer at a closed course with another CX7 right off the truck the problem was still there,once they did the TSB onthe tranny for ours its has cured most of our worries.This is not to knock this truck i really enjoy it i just always think saftey first with my family.

that is when i get some accerlation, during the 4 seconds i am barely moving

Geez, yes I guess that does sound disappointing.

I've got to stand with the rest of the postings here then. There is nothing normal about the 3-4 seconds of lag. Shame that you're not getting more help from the dealer. When I brought up the turbo-lag refresh during the sales pitch all I got was a blank stare, and some choice words concerning gossip from the internet. I'm glad that I ignored them and talked to the service guys - at least they knew about it. It's really too bad they don't sell them already done, the driveability is so much better. The 0-10 km/hr was scary at first - to the point I would not change lanes in stop & go traffic; I just could not stand the delay and then sudden surge. Now with the reflash, use of manual shift sometimes, anticipating the lag, and possible engine break-in or 'learned' shift patterns - I can dodge and weave just fine.

I see from the postings that the 4 second figure is kind of stuck in your head. I wonder though, if the 0-60 time for the CX-7 is approx 8 seconds, how do you account for this. Are you suggesting the car sits for 4 seconds then zooms to 60 in 4 seconds.

Last edited:
Not all of the first build vehicles had hesitation issues. Once Mazda (factory) discovered this, I would have thought that ALL dealers would have been notified and instructed to update ALL new vehicles before being sold. I think some dealers play dumb because they don't want the hassle of doing the update. I understand that updating the ECM & TCM is not an quick & easy thing to do as the old memory must be removed before the new update is installed. Dealers are supposed to connect a battery charge to the vehicle so not to run the battery down durning the procedure so it does take some considerable shop time. I just think a dealer should/must check to assure that the lastet update is in every car sold, but, appearently it was not handled that way at some dealers. rant done. Issues like this unreasonable hesitation must be delt with in a timely manor and if the dealer is less than cooperativre then I would go at once to the Mazda Factory Service representative and get a face to face meeting with the dealer, the rep and myself. No reason to put up with that kind of hassel. JMO My late build has no issues at all. Ed

Last edited:
When I bought my CX-7 I noticed the turbo lag right from the start. I read a few forums on here and took mine in to have the update done. My dealer has a MAZDA, HONDA, and ACURA service station. Meaning they service all three brand of vehicles. I know one of the mechanics that works in the shop and he told me that some of the mechanics are told not to update the CX-7's when they arrive from the factory. He said it depended on what company actually owned the service stations. Mine was owned my Honda and Acura. He was informed when he attended the Mazda service meetings, required by Mazda, that they are supposed to flash the vehicles if it hadn't already been done from the factory. What he has come to find out from speaking with other mechanics is that if the dealership is owned by any company other then Mazda, the update is not considered a priority. Mazda owned dealerships/service stations require the updates to be done at the service station if it had not already been done by the factory. I can see how this would downplay the satisfaction of buying a CX-7. Honda and Acura make great cars. I just thought, what a way to take out some of your competition(nuts). They have the power over many dealerships/service stations. I just wonder how many of them fall under this same situation. Anyhow, I had the update done and now I dont even notice the turbo lag. I have a consistant feel of power throughout the RPM range. The only time I notice the turbo is when I am cornering from a dead stop. I believe it has something to do with the traction control system. Just thought I would pass on the information.

Back from dealer make sure they update the transmission shifting thats what was causing alot of my delay problems........its still there but now its more predictable....so far so good!it just took five .....im mean FIVE visits to the shop for this.:mad:

what TSB did you have them run to get this fixed?

Back