feel like such a n00b but... how many spark plugs?

:
2k Protege LX
So I went to replace my plugs but I only see two?!? I consulted my owners manual and Hayes repair manual and neither say how many I should have or where they are located. I assumed the way it worked was always one plug per cylinder. I looked all over and could only see the two on the top. Am I going crazy or am I just not looking hard enough?

Not a dumb question at all.

Each of the spark plug wires plug into those black boxes. Those are your ignition coils. Unbolt them and lift up. Viola... Below each you will find your other two plugs... They're not connected by wires but by boots directly below the coils....

speaking of spark plugs and those ignition coils, how would I go about replacing the plug wires? Would those coils get in the way or would I have to replace those too? Also, what brand of wires would you suggest?

I replaced the coils recently with ones I got at mazdapartsonline. I had no idea what a huge difference they'd make until they were on.. Simply amazing improvement in performance..

As for wires, I went with the NGK ZE76 Spark Plug Wire Set from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

41aWVocJv-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

For plugs, I use NGK Iridium IX plugs...

I replaced everything the same day I installed a new alternator on Doozer (she's my protege) and the full combo makes her purr like a kitten....

I'll go ahead and plug mazdaprotegeparts.com. I've placed a few orders with them and the service, quality of parts, and shipment timing. They were also very quick to refund the core-credit for the alternator I sent back...

You don't have to replace the coils if they're fine. You can get a set of coil boots for a few bucks at any auto parts store..

This is my daily driver with 135k miles and I am doing my best to make sure it runs smoothly to hopefully get me up to around 250k miles and beyond...

Back