Federal Tires SS535

pappaf2

:
Mazda, Protege 5, Lazer Blue
Anyone out there running Federal Tires? Specifically the SS535? I am on the hunt for new tires and it seems to me that tire prices have gone up alot since the last time I put tires on my MP5. I am running Kumho Ecsta AST's in 205/50R16 right now but they are in need of replacement. I have been happy enough with the AST's but I'm shocked to see that America's Tire wants ~ $480 installed and out the door for these tires, and that is about the cheapest thing they have. Anyway I called Les Schwab and they can do a set of Federal SS535's for between $411 and $440 depending on if I go with 195/50R16's or 205/50R16's.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these tires or another all season tire I can put on the MP5 for the same price or cheaper?
Thanks

Did you check the Falken 912s? I've been running them for about four months now and they have been great in FL weather. Been through plenty of wet weather with them. I can't remember how good they are in the snow though.

Last edited:
Anyone out there running Federal Tires? Specifically the SS535? I am on the hunt for new tires and it seems to me that tire prices have gone up alot since the last time I put tires on my MP5. I am running Kumho Ecsta AST's in 205/50R16 right now but they are in need of replacement. I have been happy enough with the AST's but I'm shocked to see that America's Tire wants ~ $480 installed and out the door for these tires, and that is about the cheapest thing they have. Anyway I called Les Schwab and they can do a set of Federal SS535's for between $411 and $440 depending on if I go with 195/50R16's or 205/50R16's.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these tires or another all season tire I can put on the MP5 for the same price or cheaper?
Thanks

First off, why do you need A/S's in Danville? Unless you're heading up to tahoe all the time, you don't need em. A good summer will out-perform an A/S in everything but snow.

For a good budget summer that's silent, absolutely rips in wet weather, and is good in the dry, the Falken 452 is cheap and really good. They wear VERY well, too.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...c=18583&counter=1&ar=50&rd=16&sw=false&cs=205

That's $348 shipped to the installer of your choice! DiscountTireDirect is nearly always the cheapest option, considering it includes shipping.

I'm running 912's now, the car came with brand new ones:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...c=18110&counter=2&ar=50&rd=16&sw=false&cs=205

If you absolutely MUST run A/S's, they're pretty damn good. I'm a bit over 20k on em now, and it's raining today. It's the first time they've sucked. Keep in mind I do miles of canyon driving every day, and drive aggressively.

But again, I'd avoid A/S's at all costs, unless you hit the snow in Tahoe (and even then you'll need chains).

I run the General UHP's on my MSP and they are a great handling tire with good wet traction. look for them from Tire Rack.
I think I paid $320 shipped to my house. and that was the 17" so 16" should be a bit cheaper

First off, why do you need A/S's in Danville? Unless you're heading up to tahoe all the time, you don't need em. A good summer will out-perform an A/S in everything but snow.

For a good budget summer that's silent, absolutely rips in wet weather, and is good in the dry, the Falken 452 is cheap and really good. They wear VERY well, too.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...c=18583&counter=1&ar=50&rd=16&sw=false&cs=205

That's $348 shipped to the installer of your choice! DiscountTireDirect is nearly always the cheapest option, considering it includes shipping.

I'm running 912's now, the car came with brand new ones:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...c=18110&counter=2&ar=50&rd=16&sw=false&cs=205

If you absolutely MUST run A/S's, they're pretty damn good. I'm a bit over 20k on em now, and it's raining today. It's the first time they've sucked. Keep in mind I do miles of canyon driving every day, and drive aggressively.

But again, I'd avoid A/S's at all costs, unless you hit the snow in Tahoe (and even then you'll need chains).

I don't know if I need all season tires but I do want something I can drive in the rain confidently with. The tires that came on the car were some kumho summer tires that were scary in the rain. I do drive up to tahoe a couple times a year. I don't drive all that aggresively in the MP5, actually these days it's my wife's commuter car during the week.

For those ordering tires online, what do you usually pay to have them installed?

FYI, just read that there's going to be a rubber shortage of something like 800 tons this year...expect tire prices to rise and keep going up.

I don't know if I need all season tires but I do want something I can drive in the rain confidently with. The tires that came on the car were some kumho summer tires that were scary in the rain. I do drive up to tahoe a couple times a year. I don't drive all that aggresively in the MP5, actually these days it's my wife's commuter car during the week.

For those ordering tires online, what do you usually pay to have them installed?

A summer tire will out-perform an A/S tire in the rain, period. It's only in freezing temps in the dry, or snow, that you'd NEED an A/S. I had Falken 451's (the predecessor to the 452) in 20-30 degree dry weather all the time, and they were just great. Handling was impaired, of course, but as good as any a/s in those conditions, and in the wet the 451/452 will absolutely obliterate any A/S. I was just driving my wife's car this morning in the rain, and I put 452's on there a couple months ago (VW Passat). Her OEM Michelins spun like mad from every light in the rain even when new; these 452's hook and go, not a single slip or spin today. Braking is outstanding in the wet, as well, and they move standing water like Moses moved the Red Sea. lol

Most places charge $15-20 per tire for mounting. They're all virtually the same. DTD has a list of local installers and prices, you can check on their site.

If you buy cheap tires they'll be scary in the rain again, don't worry. Tires are THE most important part to you getting traction on any vehicle, why cheap out? They are the only part holding your car to the road and everyone wants to put the cheapest piece of s*** they can on their. $480 for a set of tires installed is cheap even at that. Put a set on my sisters car $690 for Michelins, but then again, I care about her safety. They'll also last her 80,000 or so miles at the same time, instead of 40,000-ish.

Continental Extreme Contact DW......I just bought four in a 205/50/16 from discounttiredirect for $420 delivered to my door (this was after a price match from a competitors site). Paid just under $100 to have them mounted and balanced and so far I love them.

Grip in the dry is exceptional and over the last several days we've had rain showers, t-storms and some flash flooding and they haven't broke loose once....whether I'm starting from a stop in town or maintaining the speed limit on the highway.

A bit soft which was expected but IMO nothing to gripe about.

To the OP....not sure if you subscribe to Grassroots Motorsports but this month's issue has a wet weather tire test and the DW was their top pick. Can't access the article online as of now though....

I can Monday....left my issue in my desk at the office. Maybe someone else could post them up?

I'll post up more about the sidewall this weekend. So far so good doing some spirited driving around town on the back roads but tomorrow they'll get tested on a mountain cruise. (drive)

Tires tested were all 225/45/17 and mounted on 17x8 wheels....

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs
Toyo Proxes R1Rs
Continental Extreme Contact DW
Continental Extreme Contact Wet

As for mine....they handled the mountain cruise very well. Didn't hear them sing once and sidewall flex was much better than I anticipated.

Back