FD Wheels on a Protege5 with a Stock Suspension

Nitewing911

:
2003 Protege5
I got a set of reinforced FD wheels not too long ago and I've just had them powder-coated.

I've been reading up as much as I can on Protege/P5 owners who have FD wheels, but most everyone seems to have suspension modifications. With the questions I have about tire sizes and clearance, I'm not sure how much the information I've found applies to stock suspension setups.

I've read that some people are running 3mm spacers all around, others are running 5mm spacers all around, and still others are running staggered spacers (8mm front, 5 or 6mm rear).

Is anybody running FD wheels on a P5 with a stock suspension that can weigh in on this? Or anyone at all with any input would be appreciated.

I plan on getting the spacers from azuelke, as I've heard nothing but good things. He's the one who clued me in on the staggered spacing.

Also, when it comes to tire sizes, it seems that 225/50 is the most readily available. A friend of mine is suggesting I go with 205/45, and I don't mind a little stretch, but I'm thinking that size would be a little too narrow for the FD's 16x8 profile. Going with a 225/45 would be ideal, but there aren't a lot of tires available in that size, or at least in the price range I'd prefer to stay in.

Would my stock suspension provide enough clearance for a 225/50 tire without a need to roll the fenders, provided I have the right spacers?

Any insight would be awesome. Thanks!

I would suggest 205/45/16 too. I am running on 205/40/18 on my p5 with rx8 rims which they are 18x8 and the clearance I have between the fender and the rim is almost non so in my opinion, I think 225 would be too wide and would be rubbing a lot while cornering. So againg, I say 205/45/16 would be perfect for you while giving you a nice little stretch look.

Thanks for the responses.

I'm leaning toward 205/45 right now. I saw a P5 owner who has the FD wheels with 205/45 on them.

215/50, 215/45, or 225/45 would be nice, but there's such a limited selection of tires, and I also have to work within my budget.

Back