fast idle on start up

feeder82

Is there a way to adjust the idle? or is it computer controlled? My car revs up to 2000 rpm on a cold start (wis. winters) and wont settle down for a couple of minutes, this seems too high for cold engine oil. Thanks

Mine will do that when its in the 40's down here. Only for about a minute.

Start 2k. Drops to 1500, then drops to 1000, then normal idle and I drive.

i had this issue too when i got the car, my civic never did it but the p5 does. totally normal :)

Is there a way to adjust the idle? or is it computer controlled? My car revs up to 2000 rpm on a cold start (wis. winters) and wont settle down for a couple of minutes, this seems too high for cold engine oil. Thanks

your engine is trying to warm up just like you would be if you were out in that sh!t with a bunch of metal around you. you would shake and shiver really fast, your car idles really high. normal.

The car will automatically raise the RPMs to heat the engine, also the VTCS butterfly valves will close to increase turbuleance and hence speed the heating process.

Valve-Tumble-Control-System - or something like that...AkA Flow-blockers

Mine will do that when its in the 40's down here. Only for about a minute.

Start 2k. Drops to 1500, then drops to 1000, then normal idle and I drive.

I wish it were 40 here. Oh wait, put a negative in front of that and that's what the temp was here last night (cabpatch)

O.K. ,Thanks for the replys it reminds me of the stuck choke days of carb. engines, I was afraid it was going to chuck a rod crankin like that cold:D

My 2007 cx-7 revs at 2000 rpms at start up, in any weather, if the engine is cold until I put it into another gear. Is THAT normal? I'm concerned b/c if I let my foot off the brake to quick it lurches. Someone told me the TPS might be "sticking" and to spray it with WD-40...............?

My 2007 cx-7 revs at 2000 rpms at start up, in any weather, if the engine is cold until I put it into another gear. Is THAT normal? I'm concerned b/c if I let my foot off the brake to quick it lurches. Someone told me the TPS might be "sticking" and to spray it with WD-40...............?

Not sure, my protege isn't a cx-7....

The idle is controlled by the PCM, which weighs and processes sensor data then adjusts accordingly.

The idle is sped up to facilitate the warming of non-heated 02 sensors and catalytic converters, and shorten the duration of open loop operation. It's not a problem for the engine oil.

Latest posts

Back