Farewell to a Mazda 5

(omg) Sure did a number on that wheel. Glad your family is ok. Yeah, it's a heart breaker to see the b4 and after. I had a Plymouth Breeze get slammed when I was going through an intersection. It was totaled. Good luck with your new ride.

Okay, I have to ask. What seats did you have? (Companion I am assuming.. and what else?) and do you have pics of the wrecked seats? I know about 40 techs that would love to see them. Also, what insurance company do you have. A lot of times, insurance companies will argue about replacing.

As a note, if you are in ANY accident your carseats need to be replaced. All manufacturers EXCEPT for Britax says a carseat needs to be replaced in ANY accident... even a fender bender, even if unoccupied. Britax is the only company with other rules, though in 95% of cases, the seats need to be replaced. Any insurance company that argues is putting a childs life at risk.

For future reference, there is a trick to getting a stalling insruance company to pay. Ask them for a letter that says if you get into another accident and your child is hurt or killed, they will accept liability for going against manufacturers instructions, as it is always written in the carseat manual about accident replacement.

Oh.. and erm... YAY BRITAX!!!

For future reference, there is a trick to getting a stalling insruance company to pay. Ask them for a letter that says if you get into another accident and your child is hurt or killed, they will accept liability for going against manufacturers instructions, as it is always written in the carseat manual about accident replacement.

Oh.. and erm... YAY BRITAX!!!
lol, BRILLIANT! Love that little scheme (upyours)

And yeah, Britax FTW! Comparing our Graco SnugRide to our Britax, yeah the SnugRide was convenient to snap in the base and everyting, but we could tell the Britax was of a much higher build quality... from the straps, to buckles, to adjustments, to comfort. Plus you can rear face your child up to 30 lbs I believe(!) I strongly recommend them, they're worth the extra coin.

not having kids i can't imagine that "sinking feeling" you spoke of. I'm glad I never have to go through that. And I'm really glad that everyone is ok. Good luck with the new Honda.

And yeah, Britax FTW!

2 Britax for the double win :D. We couldn't find a nice color combo for the blue one though, got stuck with the one pictured :(

Attachments

• mazda5_car_seats_jan_12_2008_00.jpg
    mazda5_car_seats_jan_12_2008_00.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 362
  • mazda5_car_seats_jan_12_2008_01.jpg
    mazda5_car_seats_jan_12_2008_01.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 379
The insurance company had no problems reimbursing for the 3 seats. We had the Companion, Marathon and the Regent. The seats looked normal. No visible damage. We had to bring them to the body shop so an insurance rep could cut the straps and dispose of them.

Ohhh I love the Blue All-Star. I have 2 Cowmooflage Marathons (only using one right now), a Regent and a Parkway. We used a Babytrend Flexloc for our infant carrier... still an awesome seat with true side impace protection.

DRHP- even when a seat has no visible damage, there can be stress fractures and other weakening of the components, not to mention the stretch that the webbing of the harness occurs if in use. Thats why they must always be replaced. This is another reason why careseats expire after 6 years (on average). Weakening of plastic-- even if it hasn't been used for 6 years.

FTR- I LOVE how the Onyx pattern of the Britax covers matches the 5's interior. The regent looks like it was MADE for the car.

Coolmazda5... why dont you have your seats rearface tethered? that is one of the GREAT perks of having a britax. I have a pic of a great tether point. It helps to prevent rebounding and since britax is one of the only companies who have tested their seats to rearface tether, it seems a waste not to use it.

Also, they rearface to 33 lbs. and extended rearfacing is the best!

Last edited:
i did not know carseats needed to be dispsosed after *any* accident.
Thanks for letting me know...

we also have *Britax* *Marathon*..for my 2 1/2 daughter...(bowdown)

Ah yes, the "Cowmooflage"... I wanted to get it but my wife thought I was nuts ;)

I don't have my Marathon rear teathered, either. I installed the seat exactly to the instructions, so I think there must've been a specific reason I didn't use it. I'll take another gander at some point.

Our son is now like 24lbs and today he's one year old(!) In my wife's Solara, I feel bad because she has to crawl into the back to rear face him, but we're going to keep him rear facing as long as reasonably possible, seeing as how the rear max is like 30lbs.

The interesting thing about tethering rear facing, is that you arent actually tethering to an anchor. you tether to a part of the car bolted down to the frame. The best place in the 5 is the base of the track that the seat in front of it slides on. You loop the D ring (that extra piece you might not have known what to do with) around the track, under the plastic cover, and then clip the tether to it.
If anyone wants a pic, id be glad....

Coolmazda5... why dont you have your seats rearface tethered? that is one of the GREAT perks of having a britax. I have a pic of a great tether point. It helps to prevent rebounding and since britax is one of the only companies who have tested their seats to rearface tether, it seems a waste not to use it.

Also, they rearface to 33 lbs. and extended rearfacing is the best!

Yeah, I posted the question sometime ago (see post below). I actually tried but it was not very effective. If you have a pic can check it out though, thanks.

http://www.mazdav.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3281163

I have 2 Cowmooflage Marathons (only using one right now), a Regent and a Parkway.

Same as jandree22, I thought they were kind of cool, but wife told me that then I needed this to go with them (lol2):

018519.jpg

Back