factory system

newcar

Hi,
I have '06 mazda3 w/factory 6disc-mp3 stereo. I was wondering without getting a non-factory system,what could be done to put a little ump to the system..
Im guessin the only thing I could do is upgrade speakers and install subwoofer. Also, would amp be an option with factory system? As I wont install myself(mechanically deficient,lol),would have to find a place a little reputable(no circuit city nor best buy).
What type of amps/subwoofer would be reccommended(brand/size/etc.),not into that lets let my neighbors half mile-away,hear my stuff,just lookin for little more crispness,punch to bass(listen to more rock,some rap)

The stock stereo system does not provide a way to connect aftermarket amplifiers easily. you would have to use a Line Output Converter or LOC that would connect to the speakers and drop the signal level down to feed the amplifers. this is not the cleanest way to go as it amplifers and noise or distortion from the amp built into the headunit....but it works.

The Stock HU has some DSP inside and they are doing some Internal EQ. I replaced my front speakers with infinities and it made very little difference int he sound quality. in fact, the stock speakers are more efficient (read louder) and have more bass then the infinitys. so, you have a maxed out system pretty much already!

If you are going to go through all of the trouble and hassle of swapping out speakers and adding amps and all of that mess, then swapping out the factory stereo is a no brainer! Dash kits can be purchased on ebay for less then $10.00 and the amount of hassle and problems you will be solving will be huge!

I have been doing some extensive research into the factory stereo's and have found that while it is possible to modify them to add line outputs. its just not worth it. While the CD section sounds ok, the FM radio is just very weak.

Zc

i dont' think there is a significant loss of quality using a quality loc... my loc puts out 8v pre outs to the amps where in most cases an aftermarket deck puts out 4v. yes i don't have the equalization options and the specific line outs that come with an a/f head unit (hu) but i am very happy with my set up and it has a very stealth look as you can't see anything just by looking in the car besides the stock stereo. check out www.davidnavone.com for some nice loc's (still pretty cheap) and then get yourself a 4 channel amplifier and 2 new front speakers and a sub with a box. check out the 1000 and 500 dollar audio challanges in the main boards audio section for some ideas on speakers and amps that will fit your budget. you can use 6.5 round (as i did) or upgrade the factory size from 5x7 to 6x8 your choice/preference really. also don't forget about sound deadening especially the doors they rattle like a mofo if you run any serious power to them, and any bit of deadening helps in the over all crispness and tonal quality in my opinion.

hope this helps any other questions just ask there is a lot of knowledgable people on this forum

Back