Factory Lowbean Bulb Confusion...

PowrSlave

:
Protege5
When I bought my Protege5, it had H4s installed for lowbeams, so whenever one burns out, I just replace them with H4s. These are low watt bulbs that I believe are intended for snowmobiles and ATVs. They don't throw light very far in other words.

After a search, I noticed that people are saying that Protege5s utilize H7 bulbs, but those only have two prongs instead of three like the H4s require. My question is, how did I end up with a three prong H4 setup when everyone else is saying that Protege5s use H7s? Any help on this?

Sounds like the previous owner installed sedan headlights which use the H4 bulb and involves some re-wiring of the harness. Maybe your output issues are related to a hack wiring job?

Are you missing the little black adapter that you plug the H7 light into? This is assuming the H4 bulbs plug into the white/cream colored connector that this black adapter plugs into, I've never seen the H4 connectors before.

Are you missing the little black adapter that you plug the H7 light into? This is assuming the H4 bulbs plug into the white/cream colored connector that this black adapter plugs into, I've never seen the H4 connectors before.

I hate that stupid adaptor.. i threw mine away twice with my old P5 and had to do dig them back out of hte trashcan! lol

I dont have the adapter since H4s are currently installed. So do Protege5s come hard wired for H7s or do they come with these adapters you speak of? Im trying to determine why the previous owner (not a car guy at all) would bother rewiring for H4s in the first place. I suppose it would make sense if adapters were lost?

Last edited:
My adapters were toast along time ago. I just used wire connectors and wired my h7s in. Well that's a thing if the past now since I'm using d2s now

When I bought my car, 1 adapter was missing, but the other was there... no clue how that happened. I think it was something like $13 at the stealership.

I dont have the adapter since H4s are currently installed. So do Protege5s come hard wired for H7s or do they come with these adapters you speak of? Im trying to determine why the previous owner (not a car guy at all) would bother rewiring for H4s in the first place. I suppose it would make sense if adapters were lost?
Look, if you have one single headlight and a blinker/parking light then you have sedan housing and those use H4 to have lo and hi beam from same bulb. If you have 2 seperate headlights and a blinker/parking light then you have P5 housing and you need H7 for lo beam and 9005 for brights. Someone could have put in sedan housings as was stated or they threw away the adapter for the H7 bulb and put in an H4 instead. Now, let's start with............Which housings do you have? The ones like above in post #2 ? or like these?
fullfrontal323f.jpg

Last edited:
My housings look like the picture. How could I have sedan housings if I have a Protege5? So what I'm hearing is that I am missing adapters? I had no idea that Protege5s came with adapters since mine didn't come with any.

Last edited:
Theres a chance that the car was in a front end collision and the original lights were replaced with the sedan lights, which are significantly cheaper.

Back