Extreme Cold Triggering LED Headlight Warning Light?

RL8791

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand Turing
I noticed an amber indicator was lit on my dashboard this morning. I had no idea what it meant as the icon wasn't familiar. I looked it up in the manual and saw that it was the LED Headlight Warning Light. Since my 2016 CX-5 is still under 10,000 in mileage and as it was 10 below zero (F) this morning, I'm assuming the LEDs are affected by extreme cold. Has anyone else had this occur?

According to Mazda:

This light illuminates if there is a malfunction in the LED headlight. Have your vehicle inspected by an Authorized Mazda Dealer.

I haven't had this, but the coldest our cx5 has seen so far was 20s and the car is garage kept.

I have gotten the same warning a few times in the last month. It only seemed to happen on the coldest nights, so maybe "cold" is the main factor here. I haven't worried too much about it since it always goes away on the next start up. I figured I'd bring it up with Service, next time I'm in.

Most test to LEDs were conducted at high temperature such as 25℃, 55℃ and 85 ℃. But most people declare that the operating temperature should be between -40℃ to 85℃.
Someone said the LED junction temperature increase every 10 degrees, the lifetime of LED decrease 50%. For example, LED J temperature rise from 65 to 75 degree, the lifetime decrease from 100k hours to 50k hours.
main-qimg-9904f0a8dc5b8eb5439c6e1c535b5b34

Why 10,000 miles? I thought CX-5 has bumper-2-bumper up to 36k miles.

I'm not talking about the warranty. Just the age of the car - headlights don't normally need replacement after only 10,000 miles.

This just happened to my '16 for the first time tonight. Came on a few mins after driving. Shut it off and the light was gone, but after another few mins it re-illuminated. Temps tonight are near zero, which is the coldest it's been so far.

Needless to say I'm not too impressed.

There is a guy from Scandinavia on the CX-3 forum who shows a photo of a headlight full of condensation after running it minus 26C (-15F). They don't get warm at all. He didn't say the warning light came on though.

I discussed this warning light in another thread. I accidently disconnected the AFS wire clip which is located near the rear passenger side spring. On this link is a picture of a lifted mazda. http://www.tanabe-usa.com/rnd/image.axd?picture=2015/7/MAZDA6_EXHAUST_INSTALLED_1.jpg
Above where the tanabe logo's letter "T" is should be where the said wire clip is located. Try checking to see if it is loose. Unclip it then clip it in. I did this 1 month ago and the AFS warning light never returned. In your case check if snow or ice is on that clip as I live in the desert and it was 60 degrees when the incident occurred.

Note when unclipped the LED warning light turn on AND the LEDS may not turn with the steering wheel.

Last edited:
I discussed this warning light in another thread. I accidently disconnected the AFS wire clip which is located near the rear passenger side spring. On this link is a picture of a lifted mazda. http://www.tanabe-usa.com/rnd/image.axd?picture=2015/7/MAZDA6_EXHAUST_INSTALLED_1.jpg
Above where the tanabe logo's letter "T" is should be where the said wire clip is located.

You described a passenger side location but the location you identified in the photo is driver's side. (dunno)

You described a passenger side location but the location you identified in the photo is driver's side. (dunno)

Not sure what the correct terminology is. Essentially its the passenger directly behind the driver in a US spec vehicle. There is an AFS wire clip is between left rear wheel and the exhaust.

Funny - the three days that temps were below zero the warning light was on. The last two days temps have warmed up into the teens and 20s and no warning light. Temperatures are supposed to dip below zero again this weekend. If I had to bet, I'd say the warning light makes a return.

Funny - the three days that temps were below zero the warning light was on. The last two days temps have warmed up into the teens and 20s and no warning light. Temperatures are supposed to dip below zero again this weekend. If I had to bet, I'd say the warning light makes a return.
You didn't have the dealer take a look?

Do the lights continue to operate normally, despite the warning? Since the LED headlights must be replaced as an entire--and costly--unit, reporting the warning light to the dealer during the warranty period might help you out if the light fails outside of the warranty.

Do the lights continue to operate normally, despite the warning? Since the LED headlights must be replaced as an entire--and costly--unit, reporting the warning light to the dealer during the warranty period might help you out if the light fails outside of the warranty.
I was wondering the same thing about the functionality upon warning light. Good point about the warranty, as these LED HEADLIGHTS are over $1000 each!

This same thing happened to me on 1-17-2016 and 1-19-2016, -20ish both nights with high winds. Light was on after first started driving CX-5, after stopped and restarted it was gone. Second time came on after driving, checked lights they were working. Maybe just frozen and not turning properly..err adaptively? I'll check with shop at next service. No warning since temps warmed.

It's frequently been -25C (-15F) in the mornings for the last few weeks where I am and I've never had this on mine. I'm not sure cold is the factor unless they did something different on Canadian models.

Back