Extended Warranty - 2010 SGT hatch. Is it worth it?

sarsbars

:
'03 Protege5
My husband and I are in the process of buying a 2010 hatch S-GT, and we're stuck on what to do about purchasing an extended warranty. The car has 68k on it and it has most of the bells and whistles (sunroof, power driver seat, heated seats, bose etc. So a lot that could go wrong electrically.) We're buying from a Chevy dealer, so unfortunately the car won't be certified pre-owned.

We're having a mechanic look it over this afternoon, so we'll have a better idea of what might need fixing in the near future. We think it might need new rear struts, and we've asked the dealership to replace them (if they're causing a noise that we hear), so we shouldn't have to worry about those later on down the road.

The warranty is $2500 ($25 deductible) for 4 years or 40k. So it ends once the car's at 108k. It covers most non-wearable components (it includes the basic powertrain warranty, suspension, electrical, brake system - but not individual parts like pads or rotors).

I guess our question is what can we expect to repair before or around 108k miles that might make the warranty worth it? I get that some cars are duds and some are superstars. I currently have a Protege5 that hasn't had any major issues in the 5 years I've owned it other than the normal EGR and a busted strut thanks to rust and New England roads.

How durable are these cars (specifically 2010)? Have any of you had any major repairs at such low mileage? Do you find that most of the fancy electrical components continue functioning properly, or do they tend to crap out?

Thanks!

Last edited:
My parents have a '10 and the only problem so far was the radio needed to be replaced. The CD drive mechanism failed.

Thanks. Do you know how long they had it before that happened?

My dad has an '03 Protege and his 6-disc CD player crapped out while the car was still young. My '03 Protege5 6-disc player is still trucking. I feel like the electronics can be so wishy-washy.

i have a 2010 S GT.

5 yrs old, 200,000km.

typical maintenance items were shocks and brake pads(i drive a bit harder). it doesnt burn oil, the electronics work like a charm. Bluetooth connection rarely drops. climate ctrl works like it should. Moonroof still works, no leaks.

Last edited:
As a general rule of thumb, it is not financially wise to buy extended warranties unless you're buying a German (or in some cases, American) vehicle that you plan to keep beyond the factory warranty period.

When I sold my 1989 MX6 GT Turbo in 2014, its widows and moonroof were still functioning (I had to replace one window switch on the passenger side, but that was an easy swap.). All other electronics were still working perfectly.

Back