experienced reassurance needed

speedymp5

:
2003 Protege 5
My wife and I sign final paperwork on a blue 03 mp5. Shes got 74000 on the clock and in great shape. 5 speed, moon roof, sadly no abs. Originally sold in Dec 02. First of all we are spending 9,737.00 total. Is this a reasonable amt? Ive been watching ebay and see a few going for 9,000 to 12,000 however,3,500 or so with mileage and equipment comparable. Seconed, Im really trippin about this ViCS system. Would it be wise to pull the intake and locktite the butterfly screws? I did notice a small growl, but could this just be normal? When I pulled a carfax there was no open recalls on this veh. I've heard people say certain vin #s had no problems mine is JM1BJ245531131334 any info would be appreciated. I am so very excited to be part of a wonderful community thanks in advance for your time and knowledge. I'm sure this will be a wonderful ownership experience. I'll post pics as soon as we pick it up and it stops raaaaiiiiinnnning!!!!!ugh(p5blue)

Welcome to the comunity. That price seems pretty reasonable. The screews for the butterfly should be just fine. You could go in there and remove them and seal everything up but its not really worth it unless you plan to do so modding to the car. Otherwise the VITC seems to help out the low end power and cold starts (some people claim). So have fun and ZOOM-ZOOM.

Blackrose said:
Welcome to the comunity. That price seems pretty reasonable. The screews for the butterfly should be just fine. You could go in there and remove them and seal everything up but its not really worth it unless you plan to do so modding to the car. Otherwise the VITC seems to help out the low end power and cold starts (some people claim). So have fun and ZOOM-ZOOM.
I think it's called VICS?

Blackrose said:
There is VICS Variable intake control soleinoid

And VTCS Variable (intake) Tumble Control

Sorry mine was a typo.
It's all good, just making sure the new member doesn't get confused ;)

As far as the original poster's question. If you have the skills and tools, by all means loctite the screws. Otherwise, take it to a dealer and have them perform the "recall" on your car if it is under recall. Check this by VIN.

FWIW, I'm in the process of getting a spare Manifold to perform VTCS removal and loctitening of VICS screws just so that I have a mani that is up to my standards. VTCS is responsible for the "cold engine rattle" which is harmless, but annoying.

I think you're getting a decent price on it.

Just a little FYI. My car was not in the range of the recall as were a few others on the forum. I had the issue of losing screws in mine. If you have the tools and mechanical skills I would go ahead and fix it yourself if yours isn't covered by the recall.

speedymp5 said:
My wife and I sign final paperwork on a blue 03 mp5. Shes got 74000 on the clock and in great shape. 5 speed, moon roof, sadly no abs. Originally sold in Dec 02. First of all we are spending 9,737.00 total. Is this a reasonable amt? Ive been watching ebay and see a few going for 9,000 to 12,000 however,3,500 or so with mileage and equipment comparable. Seconed, Im really trippin about this ViCS system. Would it be wise to pull the intake and locktite the butterfly screws? I did notice a small growl, but could this just be normal? When I pulled a carfax there was no open recalls on this veh. I've heard people say certain vin #s had no problems mine is JM1BJ245531131334 any info would be appreciated. I am so very excited to be part of a wonderful community thanks in advance for your time and knowledge. I'm sure this will be a wonderful ownership experience. I'll post pics as soon as we pick it up and it stops raaaaiiiiinnnning!!!!!ugh(p5blue)

What part of KS are you from?

03promaz Im in the Wichita area, spent some time up in Riley though. thanks for the advice. I won't have any trouble doing the work. I'll just need to come up with the gaskets. Thanks.

speedymp5 said:
03promaz Im in the Wichita area, spent some time up in Riley though. thanks for the advice. I won't have any trouble doing the work. I'll just need to come up with the gaskets. Thanks.
cool! what part of wichita by chance? i'm not there yet (moving later this summer), but i'll be in the west end of the city. the few times i've been to town, i've hardly seen any p5's... my baby will be lonely :(

you will love the P5. post pics when it's sunny out :)

As for the price.. I think they should go lower. I spent 10,900 on mine in February 2004 (the car was first sold October 31st 2002) with just 10k miles on it and in 100% mint condition. It still had plenty of warranty left, too.

Myzmzm Im in west Wichita almost Goddard. Its a wonderful city don't let anyone tell you different. Why the move? must have been a short trip I've seen two silver and one yellow today!

Myzmzm Im in west Wichita almost Goddard. Its a wonderful city don't let anyone tell you different. Why the move? must have been a short trip I've seen two silver and one yellow today!

Welcome....price seems ok from what I have seen. I picked my 02 up in January of 2006 with 67k for $8900. This was after haggling of course.

welcome aboard, from what i've seen and heard..that price is a bit high (with those miles), but not bad as the p5 seems to be holding their value pretty well!
i see a lot more p5's around now after 5 yrs!

Kansei said:
As for the price.. I think they should go lower. I spent 10,900 on mine in February 2004 (the car was first sold October 31st 2002) with just 10k miles on it and in 100% mint condition. It still had plenty of warranty left, too.

wow. that's an insane deal you got there. did you get it privately or through the dealer? I think whoever sold you the car must of not checked the KBB on the car. Otherwise, you have crazy negotiating skills.

I got mine last Sept. for $9k out the door w/ about 67k on the car. 5spd w/ moonroof. I think i could of done a little better but I'm definitely ok w/ myself at that price.

mzdp5fan said:
wow. that's an insane deal you got there. did you get it privately or through the dealer? I think whoever sold you the car must of not checked the KBB on the car. Otherwise, you have crazy negotiating skills.

I got mine last Sept. for $9k out the door w/ about 67k on the car. 5spd w/ moonroof. I think i could of done a little better but I'm definitely ok w/ myself at that price.

that was sticker price, no negotiating required. Twas on sale, normally 12,999.. presidents weekend sale or some junk.

Back