Exhaust?

DK4214

:
2008 mazdaspeed 3
been looking at a few exhaust's and i am a little low on cash i have looked around and listened to exhausts threw youtube but it dosen't really do justice how does the CNT catback sound and is it worth the $

Cut off both resonators and get 2.5" pipe welded in. It will save you a ton of money and will sound just the same. You will not get any performance gains from going to a HKS or CNT or any other exhaust. If you want the sound, chop the reso's. Our cars come stock with a 2.5" exhaust, so replacing it is only necessary when upping the HP to over 300HP. Which would mean the exhaust is the least of your concerns.

^ Agree 100%, I have a test pipe and it is plenty loud with it in, and you wont notice much of a performance increase for the amount of money you will spend on a catback exhaust.

OK, so performance gains, you'd start with a CAI and what else? Not that I can afford isht right now, but was also just listening to clips, etc. What bout a TB exhaust? Or is that still a waste?

Without getting too carried away, I would go with a CAI and a test pipe. Fairly cheap options with hugely noticeable gains. Particularly, the CAI. No need for tuning and you would notice immediate HP gains and a nice "whoosh" sound from your BPV. After that, maybe a downpipe. But then you might be looking at some sort of tuning or fuel pump upgrades.

The turbo back exhaust would help you in the downpipe and mid pipe area. After that, it's just plainly "wasted money". If you're hell bent on upgrading the exhaust, get a midpipe first. You can get one used for around $100

CAI first, I bought a cobb sri then like skallen said a test pipe seeing as you are already wanting exhaust note as it is. Then I would get a tuner, it makes the car wake up quite a bit. If you are worried about messing around with an AP look around for a used Hypertech on here. If you get to that point there then I would think downpipe, possible fuel pump internals, step colder plugs.

Back