exhaust

2muchbass

:
2000 mazda protege es
hi guys i have a quick question. i realize that mazda started using the 2.0L engine in 01. one year newer than my protege. anyway my question is sence i have a 1.8L engine will the exhaust kit for an 01 fit? (i.e. headers and pipes?) thanx for the help i appreciate it (silverpro

Tried to find a thread that might shed some light on this .. but I was unable to locate one...

N/A (currently) Auto Transmission 2003 Protege LX 2.0L

Any thoughts good or bad about mounting up the Perrin Mazdaspeed Protege turbo-back exhaust system...

http://www.perrinperformance.com/products/mazdaspeed_protege/exhuast_system.htm

1. Is this possible on a N/A engine (Turbo-back on a N/A)
2. What would be the result of putting a Turbo-Back exhaust system for the mazdaspeed protege on a N/A 2.0 Protege LX
3. Does Turbo-Back remove the cats?
4. What suggestions would be good for a solid, Deep tone, Not toooo loud under heave acceleration... but clean looking like the perrin exhaust... exhaust system...
5. Or should the exhaust wait untill I can do intake/turbo/intercooler/exhaust all in one shot?

1) Yes, it should work, since it's basically from the J-pipe back.
2) You'd have no primary catalyst, and furthermore, you would have an EXTREMELY loud, EXTREMELY poor-flowing exhaust. The reason for this is that it's a 3" exhaust sytsem, featuring a 3.5" muffler, and a 4" tip... That diameter will cause a massive amount of turbulence in the flow (Not to be mistaken for backpressure). The volume of exhaust that that little 1.8 is pushing is enough to fill up about a 2-2.25" diameter pipe, only, and that's what volumetric efficiency is all about; Keeping flow laminar.
3) It will remove one cat in your case, the primary.
4) Magnaflow, Racing Beat. Both good options.
5) If you're turbocharging your car, go with a 2.25 - 2.5" exhaust, I'd suggest, since you're not going to be pushing much boost at all... The automatic transmission won't agree with any amount of boost that would manage to take advantage of a 3" exhaust. It all depends on what you plan on doing in the long-run.

4) Magnaflow, Racing Beat. Both good options.
5) If you're turbocharging your car, go with a 2.25 - 2.5" exhaust, I'd suggest, since you're not going to be pushing much boost at all... The automatic transmission won't agree with any amount of boost that would manage to take advantage of a 3" exhaust. It all depends on what you plan on doing in the long-run.

4) I suppose I could go with Racing Beat piping and just fit a different can on the end yeah? (I like the look of cans you see angle mounted on wrx's and such) but straight mounted is fine... I like the look of the perrin, (doesn't have to be 4" at the tip 3" is fine.

5) Long run?:
a) Built 2.0L Mental Addiction Motorsport Short Block or A completely different motor 2.5L something from another make of vehicle....
b) Re-Built Automatic Transmission(transaxle) (maybe by lantech)
c) Performance Torque Converter (for higher rpm launch)
d) Turbo small turbo for quicker accelleration
e) Larger throttlebody with removal of butterflys (still researching this not quite sure exactly what I'm talking about here, but heard this can decrease airflow resistance. More air = more power)
f) Larger fuel rail, Fuel Injectors
g) locating... somewhere... a calaway turbo exhaust manifold
h) new intake manifold (ported, polished... again.. more air = more power)

I think you see where I'm going with this...

I honestly have no idea where I want to start with my modifications.. I only know to start with exhaust and intake...

Well, if you're going that built, and keeping the automatic AND having it built up, then sure, get that 3" exhaust... But I wouldn't suggest it until you actually get the turbocharger, and/or swap in a KL-03/KL-ZE or something... Even the 2.5L KL-ZE wouldn't gain much of anything, IF anything from a 3" exhaust as opposed to a 2.5". The angle mounted option would remove the rear muffler on the Racing Beat exhaust, which is what keeps it as quiet as it is. If you're going to do that, just grab an eBay cat back, and slap it on that.

A smaller turbo, such as the T25 or GT28R/RS will spool quickly, but boost will be limited to however much is efficient... Sure, you could go with more, but at that point, you're overworking the turbocharger. For that matter, even with a built auto (I'm not sure if this has been done yet), it's uncertain how much power you'll be able to hold. I know the 4E-AT on the SVX, after a performance rebuild, would be limited to about 400chp, at most. That's only up from a stock of 330chp. Pretty much ANY MTX can hold more than that on the SVX. STi, 2.5RS, and so-forth.

The intake manifold option for you would either to go with the '00 Federal Emissions manifold, which works pretty well. The stock manifold would work fine, and can be ported and polished, and modified heavily to work better than stock (I've done about 20+ of these now... Uugh.)

Your plans, as far as power goes, look to be aiming for nowhere above the 200whp mark. Hopefully, the ATX should be able to handle that if built up, but again, this is uncertain. I would say, as far as where to start, you should just save your cash for the transmission rebuild, block, and turbo kit... That's probably going to be upward of 10k in total, right there.

Man you're licky you ran into flat black in this thread, he's being very nice. Use the search button, most of these questions and topics have been discussed many times over.

anarchistchiken said:
Man you're licky you ran into flat black in this thread, he's being very nice. Use the search button, most of these questions and topics have been discussed many times over.

Yeah,, and I greatly appreciate it.

I did use the search button... but I didn't come up with much. then again.. I didn't spend 2hrs searching through thousands of posts.. some of which go well off topic from the main thread name.

Anyhow, yeah... I seriously appreciate his help!

Hhrm... 2.5L KL-ZE ?? I'll have to research this...

Racing Beat exhaust... well... I know it sounds nice, there's a video out there that has an LX with a racing beat exhaust pushing some nice power... Maybe the angle exit is not worth it.. more research needed here....

well 200 is my current goal... but I hope eventually to have A LOT more then that. I'm still a virgin to tuning and you learn as you go right? haha.. and spend a lot of money along the way with the curve heh :)

I hope the atx can hold up ;) if not I'll be shoppin.. found a fairly decent priced manual transmission if required through a wrecker..

Port and pollishing the manifolds is definately something I will do.
as well as higher lift camshafts and lighter cam gears..

But since I think exhaust is one of the first things I will do I will take the recomendation and look into 2.5" exhaust..

As I said in my most recent post... I seriously appreciate you taking the time to rehash something again... Its an auto transmission I'm talking about here... and I couldn't find anyone doing this with one... so I thought I'd ask... Cheers!!!

John

Back