Exhaust - Stock vs. CS vs. Custom?

thats fine. im happy to have one of 20!

I keep working on my friends with broken stocker mainifolds. I went to a meet last night but didn't really get to show it off since it is not running right yet.

What's the best way to go about that? Should I keep the racing beat axel back?

Your best bet is to keep the big pipe to prevent leaks, but put a proper muffler on it instead of the can that it comes with.

I ended up getting 37 manifolds total and I ordered 50 downpipes last winter. I've now sold well over 100 downpipes total and around 20 manifolds. I've been making money on the downpipes for a while now, but I still need to sell 7-8 manifolds just to break even. Considering I've only actually had manifolds in my possession to sell for 3-4 months I'm pretty happy with how they're selling, but it takes a while to cover the big costs associated with tooling for castings.

Pope I have your downpipe and love it. I'm running it with a steedspeed v2, I also have a mam exhaust manifold sitting on a box. Not gonna lie I've been debating buying your exhaust manifold just because of the possibility my steedspeed will crack (though I've never heard of one failing) and I don't plan to keep the mam.

Pope I have your downpipe and love it. I'm running it with a steedspeed v2, I also have a mam exhaust manifold sitting on a box. Not gonna lie I've been debating buying your exhaust manifold just because of the possibility my steedspeed will crack (though I've never heard of one failing) and I don't plan to keep the mam.

I'm thrilled the downpipe is treating you well and would love to build you a manifold to go with it. It sounds like there will even be a steedspeed v PEP back to back comparison soon. I believe we'll see nice gains on my mani over the steedspeed on a highly modded car, but time will tell.

I've seen a couple cracked steedspeeds, always in the back but I think they were v1s, the v2 may not be affected. I'm obviously biased, but I really do believe my parts will last forever and outflow anything out there. One excellent thing about the steedspeeds is that they have awesome resale - offsetting the purchase of one part with the sale of another is always a good feeling.

Out of curiosity why not run the MAM? That has always been the holy grail.

I'm thrilled the downpipe is treating you well and would love to build you a manifold to go with it. It sounds like there will even be a steedspeed v PEP back to back comparison soon. I believe we'll see nice gains on my mani over the steedspeed on a highly modded car, but time will tell.

I've seen a couple cracked steedspeeds, always in the back but I think they were v1s, the v2 may not be affected. I'm obviously biased, but I really do believe my parts will last forever and outflow anything out there. One excellent thing about the steedspeeds is that they have awesome resale - offsetting the purchase of one part with the sale of another is always a good feeling.

Out of curiosity why not run the MAM? That has always been the holy grail.
I bought the mam manifold used and it needs to be re-ceramic coated and I haven't found anyone local that will do it for a reasonable price. Further more the mam manifold is notorious for shifting the turbo location slightly. I love your downpipe but we both know there is not that much clearance. Furthermore I modified my fmic setup to work with the gt28r and steedspeed manifold I just have a feeling changing out manifolds will mean a lot of things not fitting correctly.

heh.. im half tempted to take my p5 in for a baseline after the reassembly. its not a rebuild cause all i did was take a motor out of one and stick it in another/clean s*** up. but it would be comical to do a back to back dyno result stock, then with BOLT ON msp setup, using popes equipment of course.

ill prob just get a 3" to 2.25" midpipe made though and use the stock msp pipes otherwise. only gonna run 10-12 psi at most on the p5. 8 would be fine even. but then, in a couple years wheni get to rebuilding the msp, ill need buy another pope.. lol.
maybe you should start a group buy a for a t3 EWG manifold that moves the turbo to a more favorable place. mate it with a downpipe to match. id give you another $1000.

Last edited:
Your best bet is to keep the big pipe to prevent leaks, but put a proper muffler on it instead of the can that it comes with.
Any recommendations on a muffler that sounds deep and more of a throaty tone.

Update: wow I already asked this and I remember reading you suggesting the dynomax VT

Last edited:
Any recommendations on a muffler that sounds deep and more of a throaty tone.

Update: wow I already asked this and I remember reading you suggesting the dynomax VT

For a super quiet idle and cruise with no drone the VT is unbeatable. If you want a louder soundtrack I've had great luck with the vibrant parts.

For a super quiet idle and cruise with no drone the VT is unbeatable. If you want a louder soundtrack I've had great luck with the vibrant parts.

I have the vibrant stuff.... To quiet it down I used two catalityc convertors.

I have the vibrant stuff.... To quiet it down I used two catalityc convertors.

Which Vibrant muffler are you running? They have some cans that I don't have much love for, but their full size mufflers are much nicer to live with.

I would have to cut the the corksport can off to replace with VT?

Yep, it takes the muffler, a couple new hangers, and a tip to do the job. It adds a fair chunk to the price, but makes for a MUCH improved exhaust system.

I have all the part numbers for the MSP Vibrent exhaust I was thinking of having one built but went with 1 of the 3 remaining CS 80mm.
The numbers are writen down someware and I can post up if you guys want. I was going to have the Vibrent parts and have the Original MSP tip haha sleeper.

Well I installed this on Saturday.
N3LbvZY.jpg

Back