exhaust smoke?

DK4214

:
2008 mazdaspeed 3
i just installed turboxs dp and test pie with an hks exhaust, and it started to smoke a little bit with the first start i know its cold out but it looks a little heavy for condensation, could it be the new pipes and gaskets setting in? the car drives no different and sounds fine and can hear the turbo spooling like it use too, i have a tune for the car coming soon was just wondering if this happened to anyone else. i don't think its a blown turbo i looked up videos and the smoke isn't as dense as 'ive seen in the vids. any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

Read the "smoking turbo" threads. Those engines prone to this (gen 1 ms3) have a poorly designed pcv system. This creates the possibility of crankcase pressure buildup that is not being properly relieved through the pcv valve. Newer ms3 cars have a better designed system.

For you the issue is that the crankcase pressure is pushing a little oil past the seals in your turbo and out the exhaust. Catalytic converters usually burn that off. Now you are catless so it is escaping as smoke at idle.

Solution: increase oil viscosity to 5w40 sometimes helps. Better solution: use your new tuning programmer to raise idle rpm by 200. That usually does the trick.

before we assume the turbo is smoking, give it a few miles to burn off the mill oil on the new exhaust pieces.

question: have you got an upgrade hpfp?

^Good point, although mine never smoked, many do have residue in the new parts that will burn off and smoke for a few days only.

And good question re: fuel pump. I thought I'd not need the upgraded pump with HT, but in combo with the catless dp I did. Rail pressure fell to low 1400's under max load.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response ordering tuner will post again if the HT dosent fix the problem, and hpfp will be ordered as soon dani got the $$

Latest posts

Back