Exhaust is fixed: I need a new wastegate

Drumfreak

:
2007 Mazda 6 V6 5 Speed black w/black leather
I fixed the exhaust on my car and that didn't fix the boosting problem. I can hear a loud whistling noise while under boost. A mazda service tech said it's prob the wastegate. Of course they wanted me to spend $2200 on a new turbo. I just need a new wastegate actuator it that's possible. Where can I find one and how hard is the install? Thanks, Joe

Last edited:
You can get a replacement actuator from ATP turbo. I think they have a 6psi one, simular to the one on our cars for around $60. I too need a replacement also.

I have the same problem the best place to post that question is probley in the MAM section Beau was telling me you can get a after market unit but you have to custom make a bracket or something, for more details I would ask one of them guys , I can tell you this for sure I woundnt pay 2200 for that turbo setup if it came with a BJ and a back rub!

you don't have to make a bracket or anything to replace the wastegate. ATP Turbo's 6psi WGA fits perfectly. I have it myself.

I'm not sure the WGA is your problem though. Check your turbo for play in the shaft.

Last edited:
low_psi said:
you don't have to make a bracket or anything to replace the wastegate. ATP Turbo's 6psi WGA fits perfectly. I have it myself.

I'm not sure the WGA is your problem though. Check your turbo for play in the shaft.
That's good news about the compatability of the wastegate from ATP. So do my symptoms sound like a turbo issue? At high revs the car rips and feels strong which leads me to believe the turbo is fine. I've just came to the conclusion that the wastegate actuator isn't allowing the turbo to spool cuz it's sticking or whatever. Why did you buy a new actuator. Was your car spiking too much or not spooling? How do I check for play in my shaft? Ha ha that sounds funny. I will look into it and go play with my shaft now. I guess I will know what the problem is after I install the new actuator. Thanks for your info it helped.

Last edited:
Are you just spooling very slowly? Check your vac lines and IC connections for leaks. To check the turbo, remove the intake and wiggle the compressor shaft laterally(push towards the passenger fender, pull towards the driver's fender) to check for thrusting, and then wiggle it side to side(front bumper to rear bumper). Its normal to have alittle side to side movement, but you don't want any thrusting.

I replaced mine because the diaphram started leaking, which caused massive overboost issues.

Zhan said:
What's the problem? Just the noise?

Not just the noise, my turbo spools slower than it should. With my afc, flashed and mods it would get on boost right away until recently. I have no boost spike anymore. It gradually pulls while building boost and then thrusts me back in the seat. It is supposed to spike and have not much for lag. It's a $60 possible solution so I bought the actuator. If that doesn't fix it then I might be shopping for a new GT28RS .

low_psi said:
Are you just spooling very slowly? Check your vac lines and IC connections for leaks. To check the turbo, remove the intake and wiggle the compressor shaft laterally(push towards the passenger fender, pull towards the driver's fender) to check for thrusting, and then wiggle it side to side(front bumper to rear bumper). Its normal to have alittle side to side movement, but you don't want any thrusting.

I replaced mine because the diaphram started leaking, which caused massive overboost issues.
So if it moves more than an 1/8 inch I should worry? I haven't looked yet but i know it will wiggle a tiny bit. Is the install a beeotch or what?

1/8" seems like alot, I just go by feel. Installing the WGA isn't too bad. Some people have been able to replace it w/o removing the manifold, but I went ahead and removed the mani/turbo.

low_psi said:
1/8" seems like alot, I just go by feel. Installing the WGA isn't too bad. Some people have been able to replace it w/o removing the manifold, but I went ahead and removed the mani/turbo.
Gotcha, I've felt a shaft on a turbo before that was working fine so I know what to feel for. That sounds bad. How would I check to see if my ex mani is cracked. Besides just looking at it. It sucks I can't reproduce these symptoms while my head is under the hood. Engine stress is where its at.

Removing the mani/turbo isn't hard, just time consuming. I've had lots of practice though.

You could try running seafoam through the car and that'll show exhaust leaks well. Or just rev the motor while feeling around the manifold for exhaust gas pulses.

I think I have the same problem as you DrumFreak. Aloud whistling noise comes from my turbo as it spools up, it doesn't leak oil, and i still get boost, but it can be a little slow to come on. I went to Mazda once, and they said it was a wastegate too, but they told me that they couldn't do anything do to some warranty bulls***.
Anyways, it would be awesome if I could just replace it with the ATP turbo product and be rid of whistles and slow boost.

NJMSP42385 said:
I think I have the same problem as you DrumFreak. Aloud whistling noise comes from my turbo as it spools up, it doesn't leak oil, and i still get boost, but it can be a little slow to come on. I went to Mazda once, and they said it was a wastegate too, but they told me that they couldn't do anything do to some warranty bulls***.
Anyways, it would be awesome if I could just replace it with the ATP turbo product and be rid of whistles and slow boost.
Then why not do it? I can't wait to get it and hopefully fix the problem. I ordered it yesterday and won't get it til Monday. Talk about slow shipping. Oh well more beer drinking time this weekend.

If the new wastegate actuator does fix the problem I am gonna send my old piece of junk one to JDM Sam @ Crossover Auto so he can send it to Garrett and get them to produce and or sell a direct OEM replacement instead of spending $280 at a dealership and to show Mazda they are ridiculous for replacing the whole turbo! Hopefully that happens and I can help a bunch of people out cuz this seems like a non-isolated issue.

low_psi said:

Yea that works perfectly if you are running 6psi I want something that will handle more boost!!!

I run 8-9psi(no boost controller) with the "6psi" WGA from ATP. Its also held 14psi fine using a boost controller. How high do you want to go? You could buy the 18psi WGA they sell...

low_psi said:
I run 8-9psi(no boost controller) with the "6psi" WGA from ATP. Its also held 14psi fine using a boost controller. How high do you want to go? You could buy the 18psi WGA they sell...
I am going no more than 10 psi with my current set up. I am limited by my mods but at least I have some form of EMS (DSM AFC) which is why I even boosted in the first place. We'll see what the boost gauge says when I install the WGA. I ran 8 psi all winter here in MN and my car held strong except for hitting fuel cut a few times when it was really cold. You kinda got me worried that my turbo might be bad. But honestly how many msp'ers have broke their turbo running 8 psi? FYI there is 32k on the car. UPS is taking their sweet old time with this part too. I ordered it monday and won't see it til next monday. F.

Back