Exhaust hassles in MA.?!?

racer x 3

:
mazda 3 s winning blue
I am currently driving a 2.3L 3 sedan (2004) and planning a move from FL. to MA. in the next 30 days.

I have the Mazdaspeed CAI (50 state legal) and the Mazdaspeed Cat-Back exhaust. I am pretty sure she is running clean, but its the noise that I am now worried about. Current MA. residents will understand.

Anyone else running this configuration? Issues with passing inspection? Getting pulled over? Should I just not move? I am really truly nervous and almost losing sleep over this. Will they exempt repairs due to financial hardship?

etc. etc. etc.

PS- Ignore the sig and photo...... many many things have changed since then.

HELP!(help)

Last edited:
MA is a b****, they have now resolved to fences and checkpoints...they'll impound your car if you have any exhaust or lights modifications and won't let you in if you're a republican.

:p

i live in MA and still have CT plates...been pulled over a few times but never given a ticket for my exhaust.

keep in mind i have an older car with lots of stickers, loud exhaust, 4 inches off the ground and a chick driver lol.

MA is a b****, they have now resolved to fences and checkpoints...they'll impound your car if you have any exhaust or lights modifications and won't let you in if you're a republican.

i live in MA and still have CT plates...been pulled over a few times but never given a ticket for my exhaust.

keep in mind i have an older car with lots of stickers, loud exhaust, 4 inches off the ground and a chick driver lol.

Chick driver? Are you single..lol

if your car is in good running condition you won't have an issue. of course each station is a little different in what they check, visually. i don't have any cats and a aftemarket exhaust...no issues through 4 taxachussetts inspections....you can't have any cels! where you moving to?

i'm from salem too!

hmm i've never seen you're car around though..HI :)

also, I've never gotten pulled over for my exhaust or HID's in my mazda but i did in my old car and the cop told me I had 3 days to take my "illegal" HID's out and that if he pulled me over again for them i was getting a fine.

i'm from salem too!

hmm i've never seen you're car around though..HI :)

also, I've never gotten pulled over for my exhaust or HID's in my mazda but i did in my old car and the cop told me I had 3 days to take my "illegal" HID's out and that if he pulled me over again for them i was getting a fine.

i mostly drive around beverly for school...i used to work at the autozone in salem though...

feel free to IM me and say hi: ReddDesign

thank you guys (and girls) all for the responses.... much appreciated.

phew.

bazooka joe, i will be moving to somewhere in quincy. looking forward ot checking out boston for sure..... new sig with pic to come in minutes

thanks again

thank you guys (and girls) all for the responses.... much appreciated.

phew.

bazooka joe, i will be moving to somewhere in quincy. looking forward ot checking out boston for sure..... new sig with pic to come in minutes

thanks again
(2thumbs) look forward to meeting you!

quick question racer x. how did you take the side molding's off of your car and was it hard? i've been wanting to do it and now that it's finally nice out i think i might...

its very simple really..... just use some fishing line to sneak behind the pieces, which are just on with double sided 3M stuff.... try a sawing type action.

once you get a start, just carefully just pull them off.

some people say you must heat them. i did not need to, but it does not hurt to have the car in the sun for a bit before hand.

pretty clean and easy

thanks again guys for the repsonses.... one other question:

if for some reason i do end up having to go back to the stock exhaust, i can at least still keep the cat-back for future use no? any damage would be incurred to the cat-back system that would be irreversable?

yes, i am a paranoid dude. just go ahead and say it.(nailbyt)

seriously, don't worry about it. cars can take a LOT more abuse then what the average driver gives them...i'm proof of that...my cars been through hell and back.

you shouldn't have ANY problems with the exhaust up here...

yea as far as i know you can keep it for future use but don't worry about it. with all the "badass" civic's around here no cop is going to worry about your catback exhaust. I've had no issues with mine and I got it done in January. I think you're biggest worry should be about it rusting with all the snow and salt on the roads.

:)

thanks for the info about the moldings too, I thought I was going to have to break out my hairdryer for 40 minutes just to heat the tape up to peel it off...that would not have made me to happy.

its very simple really..... just use some fishing line to sneak behind the pieces, which are just on with double sided 3M stuff.... try a sawing type action.

once you get a start, just carefully just pull them off.

some people say you must heat them. i did not need to, but it does not hurt to have the car in the sun for a bit before hand.

pretty clean and easy
i would use the heat foshua!
yea as far as i know you can keep it for future use but don't worry about it. with all the "badass" civic's around here no cop is going to worry about your catback exhaust. I've had no issues with mine and I got it done in January. I think you're biggest worry should be about it rusting with all the snow and salt on the roads.

:)

thanks for the info about the moldings too, I thought I was going to have to break out my hairdryer for 40 minutes just to heat the tape up to peel it off...that would not have made me to happy.
a heat gun is your friend (yes), i finnaly bought one and have used it for several projects...heat shrink tube when doing electrical work on the car, heating up the lip when we rolled the fenders, installing the "road blocker" for the headlights...and they're not real expensive. like 25 bucks (got mine at lowes)....it will make the job som much easier...now if you are in sunny warm FL or even doing this here on a real warm summer day, you might be fine....let us know how you make out

Back