Evo VIII Brembos Brakes and RX7 Brakes on the Protege 3rd Gen

With the size of the fronts of the FDs they are smaller than the 2008 Mazda6/ Ford Fusion rotors.

I am currently running the Ford Fusion caliper/rotor setup, Rotors are 11.8"
25F45E5C-7F87-420D-AB3E-5FA9A3C398B1-5604-0000053860781104.jpg

Might be easier than getting custom rotors/ hats

The hat is the part of the rotor that sticks out where the wheel rests on. Custom rotors like the wilwood bbk have the rotors and hats seperate so you can just replce the rotor

The Evo calipers can be adapted to fit pretty easily in all truth. Ive done the test fitting on a 1st gen probe myself. Ive also tried a set of FD calipers. And those would involve some brackets to position the caliper correctly in relation to the rotor. Because when you bolt up the FD caliper straight to a probe hub, Theres just no way at all your going to be able to fit a rotor also. The offset is just way off.

I can't search right now, but the one guy was from Australia I think he had a midnight blue SP20 and ran the FC brakes with custom hats. Much easier than trying to find a rotor that fits AND making a bracket for the caliper.

Still a lot of work and money for a car that has some pretty damn good brakes from the factory. Dot 4 fluid, stainless lines and Hawk pads were all my MSP needed and I haven't had any fade or consistency issues.

Still a lot of work and money for a car that has some pretty damn good brakes from the factory. Dot 4 fluid, stainless lines and Hawk pads were all my MSP needed and I haven't had any fade or consistency issues.
sorry, i don't have a MSP, i have MP3...so my brakes are WORSE than the MSP's :)

sorry, i don't have a MSP, i have MP3...so my brakes are WORSE than the MSP's :)

Do what I'm doing, Mazda 6 front brakes and msp rear brakes. Pretty much a direct swap. I can't wait to see how they do with some good sticky tires

If you want brembo brakes that bad pull a Honda owner, paint them red and trace on some white lettering, or they make clips that go over the calipers that look like they're brembos.

Brembos are over rated any way

I'm not sure about fronts...but i vaguely remember FD RX-7 rear calipers are almost identical to MSP rear calipers, as well as the rotor size...but the FD's have a different ebrake cable set up...

I'm positive though that a MSP rear caliper will hold FD RX-7 pads...been using FD pads since i got the calipers...

I have the 626 V6 calipers up front, with 11.1" rotors i believe...that was about all i could fit under Rota 17" D2's, but recently switched wheels...and would consider something bigger...

and I agree with the OP, the FD calipers look great with the logo...

+1 on the logo look... my calipers say FoMoCo on them (but at least you can't see it with the wheels on...)
I believe MSP rears and FD rear calipers are the same...(content edited out)
I've got 2007 mazda6 rotors/calipers front and back on my car, really i feel like there isn't much of a difference between my "new" brakes and the old ones that came with my protege ES. Of course, that's just me and i might have simply forgotten the feel of my old brakes... the very next day after i ditched them. I'm glad my rotors aren't warped now, the mazda6 rotors don't want to warp as much as the protege's old rotors did...
The width of the pad on the 2007 (and i think that applies to 2006+ as well) mazda6 brake...pads... is almost the same as the width of the old protege pads, but the mazda6 pads are a little longer, and the rotor is of course much larger.
Our mazda3 and mazda5 feel like they have way more stopping power... probably due to the larger rotors and pad surface area. The pads on the 3 and 5 cover the entire rotor surface, the pads on the mazda6 leave you with around a centimeter of rusty unused area that you look at every day before you get into your car and then you look of the other mazdas in an attempt to figure out why the OEM look involves some rust band.

But that's just me... maybe i still just can't tell the difference between the old and new ones. What's the pad size of the FD's brakes compared to the MSP's?
It's almost worth it to have a nice set of calipers that say mazda on them... and not-warped rotors...

Last edited:
+1 on the logo look... my calipers say FoMoCo on them (but at least you can't see it with the wheels on...)
I believe MSP rears and FD rear calipers are the same... and 626 V6 calipers
I've got 2007 mazda6 rotors/calipers front and back on my car, really i feel like there isn't much of a difference between my "new" brakes and the old ones that came with my protege ES. Of course, that's just me and i might have simply forgotten the feel of my old brakes... the very next day after i ditched them. I'm glad my rotors aren't warped now, the mazda6 rotors don't want to warp as much as the protege's old rotors did...
The width of the pad on the 2007 (and i think that applies to 2006+ as well) mazda6 brake...pads... is almost the same as the width of the old protege pads, but the mazda6 pads are a little longer, and the rotor is of course much larger.
Our mazda3 and mazda5 feel like they have way more stopping power... probably due to the larger rotors and pad surface area. The pads on the 3 and 5 cover the entire rotor surface, the pads on the mazda6 leave you with around a centimeter of rusty unused area that you look at every day before you get into your car and then you look of the other mazdas in an attempt to figure out why the OEM look involves some rust band.

But that's just me... maybe i still just can't tell the difference between the old and new ones. What's the pad size of the FD's brakes compared to the MSP's?
It's almost worth it to have a nice set of calipers that say mazda on them... and not-warped rotors...

626 V6 calipers, you say..

what year?

929 def don't fit...

ahh, ya know what, i was wrong about the uhh 626 V6 brakes being the same as the msp rears-
-here's a link to one of the "mazda6 brake swap" threads that has some info in it:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...kes-for-CHEAP!/page9&highlight=msp+626+brakes

you're better off goin' with the evo brakes before you listen to things the way i remember them ;)

evo and rx7 are the same.
so the same amount of work is needed to make both work on the MSP

evo=300$+
rx7=100$

The 98+ 626 rears are the same as the MSP rears. But you can also use the 93-97 626 rears, there just slightly smaller. (s***, they might actually be the same as the stock n/a protege's. But ive never had a reg protege to compare too.

Theres also the larger MS6 front brakes, which are over a 12 inch rotor. And still clear a 17inch wheel. Since all ive seen mentioned is the n/a mazda6 set up so far.

MS3 brakes can clear 16's just fine. But i dont think there a suitable donor. But havent messed with the 3 set up personally to say for sure. Just going off what others have posted.

Back