EssentialSPEED Mazda3 CAI

looks are for guys who drive up and down hwy #7 in woodbridge (dont ask if you aint in the t-dot)

the muffler tip is a 4" ractive fat boy muffler (part # http://www.ractive.com/index.php?src=directory&view=products&srctype=display&back=products&id=57750&view=products&submenu=Ractive&category=Mufflers%20with%20Style%20Tips&pos=60,15,67&pos=60,15,67 )was gonna get a vibrant but it was a few inches too long to put under the back so i went with ractive and my last car had ractive and i liked it......

the piping is stainless steel.....ya its not bright and shiny but it works well which all i care about.......

I might go get a dyno next week since i just did some nice OT at work and need to waste money anyone know of any places in the GTA that does it?

Last edited:
So, lemme get this straight...

"looks are for guys who drive up and down hwy #7 in woodbridge"

but you put on a 4" muffler tip?

Mmm-kay. Got it.

goldwing2000 said:
So, lemme get this straight...

"looks are for guys who drive up and down hwy #7 in woodbridge"

but you put on a 4" muffler tip?

Mmm-kay. Got it.
would have prefered a 3" but it only came in a 4" and I couldnt wait plus the sale ended at midnight.......

one think i dont like about the 4" is when i am washing the car it likes to collect a bit of water and soap...oh well as soon as store the car for the winter I will get a proper exaust built but for now its fine.......I am not impressed with the way the magna flow sounds which is wierd because they usually sound great....oh well....

gotta hate it

canada3 said:
would have prefered a 3" but it only came in a 4" and I couldnt wait plus the sale ended at midnight.......

one think i dont like about the 4" is when i am washing the car it likes to collect a bit of water and soap...oh well as soon as store the car for the winter I will get a proper exaust built but for now its fine.......I am not impressed with the way the magna flow sounds which is wierd because they usually sound great....oh well....
Ya gotta hate it when the sale ends @ midnight. lol j/k

goldwing2000 said:
Maybe you could drill a small hole in the bottom to let the water drain out.
hehe then after i put the hole in there i would add a spark plug and a fuel line...then i will get arrested for lighting some old grannies car on fire.....(cool)

Hmmm, fire good.

canada3 said:
hehe then after i put the hole in there i would add a spark plug and a fuel line...then i will get arrested for lighting some old grannies car on fire.....(cool)
How did we draw from draining to fire starting? lol j/k Although it there was away to throw the fire out the front of the car..........

Tim (flame2)

How can you possibly recommend this thing over the AEM? It looks home made. Is the cost savings that important to you? Also, can you show a pic of how the intake is secured to the car? I wouldn't be suprised if it is with zip ties.

495680_76.jpg

Okay, here's what i sent them:

Me said:
Hello,

Im interested in your cold-air intake kit for the Mazda 3. Specifically, I would like to know the torque and horsepower gains from your dyno runs (do you have a scan of the graphs?). Also, how much would the shipping cost to send to Victoria, BC V0A A0A?

AEM has their intake out for almost the exact price as yours (after conversions, duty, etc), so I just wanted to know what it was that set your kit apart.

Thanks for your time,
Bart

Here's his reply:

Kevin Liphard said:
HELLO DYNOS WHERE DONE BY THE CUSTOMER..STILL WAITING FOR MY COPY:-(
AS FOR THE COMPARISION,THE AEM IS ALUMINUM MATERIAL,EASILY HEAT SOAKED
AND DENTS,SCRATCHES VERY EASILY...
WE USE 304 SS MATERIAL, TIG WELDED,TRANSFERS/REFLECT HEAT BETTER.
PLUS WE ARE CANADIAN:)
UP TO THIS YEAR AEM HAS SOAKED THE CUSTOMER FOR PRODUCTS THAT WERN'T
WORTH IT.
NOW THEY REALIZE THEY HAD TO DROP THEIR PRICE TO COMPETE.
THANKYOU FOR YOUR INTEREST.
PS SHIPPING OF THE CAI TO YOU WOULD BE:
CANADA POST>18.00
UPS>30.00

KEVIN

By the way it sounds, they really didn't do *ANY* testing on this for power gains. How *COULD* they have, if they never did a dyno, and are expecting "the customer" to do one?

canada3, by the tone of your 1st message, I was under the impression that you were the first one to get this intake. If this is correct, these guys are lying about the dyno results, as you told us you haven't have any runs done.

Still, even if you weren't "the customer" with the prototype, I still wouldn't buy an untested and, by all appearances, sub-standard product for the same price as AEM's... whether they're Canadian, or not.

~Bart~

Edit: Oh Yah! And just which one is stainless steel better at, transferring or reflecting heat?? Can it be both at the same time? Even so, I don't want the "transfer" part of the heat in my CAI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kevin Liphard
HELLO DYNOS WHERE DONE BY THE CUSTOMER..STILL WAITING FOR MY COPY:-(
AS FOR THE COMPARISION,THE AEM IS ALUMINUM MATERIAL,EASILY HEAT SOAKED
AND DENTS,SCRATCHES VERY EASILY...
WE USE 304 SS MATERIAL, TIG WELDED,TRANSFERS/REFLECT HEAT BETTER.
PLUS WE ARE CANADIAN:)
UP TO THIS YEAR AEM HAS SOAKED THE CUSTOMER FOR PRODUCTS THAT WERN'T
WORTH IT.
NOW THEY REALIZE THEY HAD TO DROP THEIR PRICE TO COMPETE.
THANKYOU FOR YOUR INTEREST.
PS SHIPPING OF THE CAI TO YOU WOULD BE:
CANADA POST>18.00
UPS>30.00

KEVIN
I like the light weight of the aluminum. I think he's just saying that crap because he doesn't know how to work with aluminum. Heat soak is not a problem for my AEM, because they coat their intake with heat resistant paint. I don't know or care how much they sell their intake for but I doubt if AEM would have to lower their prices to complete against this piss ant Canadian company.. LOLOL

o_O

in picture 5... that vacuum hose looks like it's 3-4 MM bigger than whatever threaded plastic peice it's attempting to attaching to. (boom03)

the hose looks like it's sliding off... or just sort of held on by a bit of threading..

is it supposed to do that (uhm)... looks like it might need a hose clamp or something. Then again, the hose could just a lot thicker than I am used to

I am trying to get a appointment to get a dyno done which might take a week or so but as soon as I get one I will start a new thread on it........I know kevin's done some more 3's since mine and they dyno from a 6 he did showed a 20hp gain on a dyno but that was with 3" piping and a perm. CEL as well so he might be talking about that one? At first we tried the 3" piping but it would have been a tight fit so went with the 2.5" instead. PeterBoy are you talking about my pics?

Fobby_Monkey said:
i still can't get over the 4 inch tip. Did you at lease change the pipe size? what about the stock muffler?
stock muffler is sitting on the garage floor. that 4" tip is part of the muffler...wish it was 3" ........

PeteyBoy3K said:
in picture 5... that vacuum hose looks like it's 3-4 MM bigger than whatever threaded plastic peice it's attempting to attaching to. (boom03)

the hose looks like it's sliding off... or just sort of held on by a bit of threading..

is it supposed to do that (uhm)... looks like it might need a hose clamp or something. Then again, the hose could just a lot thicker than I am used to
I went and looked at what you where talking about and the inside of the hose is very tight around the fitting...the wall of the hose is what is think.....

owe btw 1300km and no CEL

n1smo said:
I like the light weight of the aluminum. I think he's just saying that crap because he doesn't know how to work with aluminum. Heat soak is not a problem for my AEM, because they coat their intake with heat resistant paint. I don't know or care how much they sell their intake for but I doubt if AEM would have to lower their prices to complete against this piss ant Canadian company.. LOLOL
Heat resistant paint doesn't BLOCK heat like you say it does.

Rather, all it is, is a paint that won't fade or crack under heat stress.

So, basically, heat resistant paint won't reduce heat getting to the metal; all it does is prevent itself from cracking or fading.

Levitron said:
Heat resistant paint doesn't BLOCK heat like you say it does.

Rather, all it is, is a paint that won't fade or crack under heat stress.

So, basically, heat resistant paint won't reduce heat getting to the metal; all it does is prevent itself from cracking or fading.
Page 2 of the AEM installation instructions read: blah blah blah... Our system is constructed of lightweight aluminum and then painted with a zirconia based powder coat for superior heat insulating characteristics. And I would say it does work because my intake is pretty cool to the touch except for the area around the TB.

Back