Engine Trouble, Help!!!!!

02PROTEGE2.0

:
1999 Audi A4 1.8t quattro manual
so i was out in the rain watching my friend drift his TSI and was driving a little heavy as i always do... when my car bogged down and died... i thought i sucked up a little water... cause it turned over fine, no wierd noise, no fluid leak in the engine bay.... we went to the gas station and elt it set.

on the way back out to my car eh mentioned his car did that when it over heated once... put my key in and sure enough the engine temp guage was thru the roof!!!

popped the hood once again... not a thing wierd... in fact i could touch the valve cover! it had been 30 minutes at this point....

waited another 45... checked he guage again.... still no budge... all the way up still. by this time i could lick the valve cover if i wanted... no leaks or anything... but the car would turn over and not start....

did i just fry my thermostat or what? i have no idea... any input or previous experience PLEASE let me know. thanks.

this happened to me before in a different car though. I had to replace um sensor because it broke and my car's ecu was instantly shutting the down off since my temp was through the roof.

Do you have any engine management? Looks like a short circuit, check all fuses, check them very well. This has happened to me before.

well update... replaced the thermostat and it had no affect.

mechanic ive seen for a while at advanced auto parts then find the coolant temperature sensor for my car and i replace that.... no affect.

well, at this point i had drained the radiator twice to make these fixes. and had spent 60 bucks. i wa sout of options.

called the mazda dealer and the tech told me my car should still start. he said i wasnt getting spark and i had a much deeper problem than the guage... which was still through the roof after 14 hours.

i checked... sure enough no spark. he told me to double check all fuses and bring it in if i got no where...

AND SURE ENOUGH... the fuse in the compartment near my foot that was labled ENG was blown... a little 10 amp fuse... ti made my guage go nuts and my car lose spark... so i replaced it and bam... problem solved...

but hey... thoise were original parts i replaced on a car with 86000 miles... i guess it needed it anyways.

02PROTEGE2.0 said:
AND SURE ENOUGH... the fuse in the compartment near my foot that was labled ENG was blown... a little 10 amp fuse... ti made my guage go nuts and my car lose spark... so i replaced it and bam... problem solved...
good!...told ya!

The problem is...why it shorted? check if you have live wires unshielded.

I had this happen to me about a month ago. I was on the side of the road for 3 hours until I figured out what the issue was. My splices for my 1st O2 Sensors were shorting out. The heat had worn the shrink wrap out, and I had contact.

After this, I replaced most of my fuses in my kick pannel with smart fuses.

glad to hear it was nothing serious! often times it's a simple thing...like a fuse!:)

yea u know... i did extend my second O2 sensor when i had a bung put in on my mid pipe. its connected pretty well and i thought it was well wrapped... maybe i should re check those connections... thanks alot guys. im glad it was nothing serious.

Back