Engine start issues.

D3monix

So I have a bit of a mystery on my hands.

Edit: The TL;DR read is, replaced the starter and the battery, no power to the starter. funky things happen with the electrics when the car is off but in the on position and I'm on the brakes or taking off the E-brake.

I go to start up the P5. I turn over the key and click the instruments flicker and get a two or three T's where the ODO is.

I figure its either no juice to the starter or a dead spot on the starter.
I bump start the car, thankfully it's a 5spd, everything works fine. Test the voltage of the battery, 12.76 V while the car is off.
It occationally starts no issues. Other times it pops up again. I take it to a mechanic and get the starter replaced. They try out starting 6 times while in the garage no issues, and bring it around front shut it off. I pay go out and "Click". They attach a battery pack starts up fine.

The car is brought back in to test the battery and they get some odd results. 12 v not crank but 2 when understress. "There's your issue you need a new battery." The battery is still under warranty I go to Canadian tire. I pull out the battery after buying tools to do so. Get it replaced and installed. Go to turn on the car.

You guessed it! "Click." Brand new battery. New starter 105 F in the shade and I'm stuck. I tried to bump start it but pushing it up a hill then letting it roll down isn't doing it.

I get back in put on the parking break and off the brake. Turn it over. Vroom! I retreat back to home to think over my options. I get back home, try to start it again. "Click"

I noticed that the instument panel with the key in the on position but not started flickers when I have my foot on the brake but stops when I get off of it. The same is true for disengaging the parking brake but everything shuts off, the ODO all lights and radio. Engage it again and everything comes back.

I'm buying a 2012 Subaru Impreza (non-WRX :( )next week, the 3 skyactiv disappointed me, it didn't give me the James May "fizz" but the Subie did. I do want to get at least something for the car so I need to sort this out, any Ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I checked the Main relay, good voltage, I'm taking it in tommorw for the ignition switch. I'm pretty sure that's the issue.

Could be like my protege and my 323 and the wire going from the switch to the starter is grounding out somewhere

Have heard of lots of problems with main relay on hondas, especially on hot days.
Also, on my CRX my key switch went out on that. The more keys you have hanging the faster they go.

Back