Engine question?

gt28protege

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
First off I wanna say I'm a noob when it comes to the speed Proteges as I recently purchased one with a spun rod bearing. I have owned a 2nd gen Probe so I am familiar with the Fs motors. I took apart the motor to find out that the crankshaft had a crack in it and that it was toast basically. So, my question is can I used the motor out of a 2001 626 LX. It is an FS motor like mine the only difference is it has the distributor setup unlike the MSP. I know that all fs motors from 98-2003 are same just not sure on the whole distributor vs individual coil packs and if it can be done or not. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

main bearing support plate has an oil drain for the turbo. So, you'd either have to swap it from the old engine if it's good or drill and tap a new location in a safe area for it. I'm not sure on the ignition part you're asking. I'd imagine if you're keeping the wire harness and ecu you'd be able to use the packs that are on your current FS. Don't quote me.

First make sure you have the year correct on that engine because IIRC in 1998 the FS-DE changed to fuel injection. There were other things that were changed as well but that was one of the main things. If you are using a 2000-2002 626 engine then you can definitely use it because the motors are internally identical. Like Cleverfrog mentioned there would only be minor changes that would need to be made for it to work properly. If you decide to drop the engine right in you would need to take all the turbo components and swap them over as well as change out the cam gears because the Protg uses a 36-1 +3 trigger/home signal as opposed to the 626 using 36-1+1 trigger/home.

^I think you mean distributor-less COP ignition, Mazdas were FI way before '98.

If you have the harness and ECU from the MSP you should be able to swap the head and it will work fine.

^I think you mean distributor-less COP ignition, Mazdas were FI way before '98.

Yes, you're correct. I must've been tired or not thinking right when I wrote that, thanks Hornsfan. But the remainder of it is still valid and I would agree that he can still use the bottom end and use his current head. Only problem would be that the crank on the later models (00-02) were reported to be forged as opposed to the earlier models that weren't.

Back