Engine noise

bktply

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
I have a ticking noise from the engine when you start the car. The noise gets higher at higher RPMs. Someone said that I may need to get my valves adjusted. What do you guys think? Here is the link to the video on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXT-mi1Zxa4

Last edited:
Haven't really seen a lot problems with people having to re shim valves tho. Start your car cold with the heat shield off the mani and listen. Does the noise go away when the engine is warm? look at all the bolts holding the manifold on they are notorious for falling out.

I don't have the heat shield. I don't think its the exhaust manifold though.

its not a honda, you dont just grab a 10mm and flat head with some feeler gauges and go at it. "Setting" or rather shimming the valve caps is very complex and hard to do right. They are designed so they should not ever need to be set other than when you change cams or do head work.

No matter how much you dont think its a manifold leak you should check anyway.

Your second clutch is probly low on fluid, that's why you can't double clutch. Have you checked your blinker fluid? It might be a unicorn stuck in your intake too, and that noise is unicorn screams.

That would explain the manifold leak. They like to s*** in your filters too, I'd take the intake off and check for unicorn droppings.

Does you have a cai? I know mine ticks because the wiper fluid bottle isn't propely secured

Mine has a CAI. Its not that. What do you mean unicorn droppings? I hope its not not the valve.

bolts connecting exhaust mani and turbo may be loose, thats what happend to me and another guy

Back