Engine mounts

Boilermaker19

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
how do you tell which engine mount(s) need to be replaced? They all look visually okay without getting really up close with the rear, but the shifter moves back and forth on acceleration and deceleration, so I know I have a problem.

front or rear prob. the side mounts arent super common to fail but the rear one is almost guaranteed to be dead. The front ones easier; so change that one, then the rear one if you have a full day of messing around.
Though its not required to remove the intake manifold to do that mount, it really is just so much easier to access the bolts ect with it off. and a new gasket only costs like $13... otherwise you need to use some pretty long extensions, big ass breaker bar. the hardest part i found was moving the wiring harness plastic retainer. i think a lot of people just cut it and get rid of it.

Got a closer look, and I am missing a bolt on the rear motor mount. Any ideas what size that is? I guess I'll pull the other for comparison, since I can't seem to find the bolt size online.

Put in a new bolt, and I'm still having the shifter movement when I decelerate. I guess I'll replace the front and rear mounts.

if u never replace them before, replace all. and replace shifter with short throw shifter XD

i have SU mounts, i dont like it , its very stiff... the shifter doesnt moves, but i can feel the small vibration all the time all over the cabin including shifter itself , except certain rpm range it turns out really quiet.

i heard Original mounts with Urethane filling works better. u could give it a try.

u might also think about buying a WR engine damper or custom make one, it might eliminate "the back and forth feel" ?

I am personally happy with my SU mounts, then again my car really is not a DD. I will agree on the rear mount replacement procedure. I spent a couple of hours doing mine and there was a time during process of removing harness cover I wanted to rip the harness out of the car. haha

So removing IM would help quite a bit! But definitely do mounts

If you get all solid mounts you won't need an engine damper. All solid mounts aren't for everyone but personally I love the way they make the car feel.

the shop that replaced the rear mount for me , actually replaced the mount from below while repainting the front crossmember for me.

(i was doing POR15 rust proofing that day and they found out i havnt replaced the rear mounts, and asked me if i wanna replace it. so i gave them the SU rear mount that i was having a hard time to replace)

btw i ask them to take both front and rear crossmember down to repaint it with POR15 XD u guys could do it urself. that POR15 is so good for this rust bucket XD

Latest posts

Back