Engine Knock??? And how do I fix?

skallen

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
I've had my Speed 3 for about a year and a half now (it's an 07 CWP). I've never really had a problem with it except for the smoking turbo, which was replaced under warranty. However, lately when I've been laying my foot in it, it goes good but when it hits around 4-5000 RPM it sounds like knocking in the engine. It doesn't matter if I'm in 2nd gear or 3rd gear or even 4th....it just does it under full throttle around 4-5000RPM. I'm newer to the turbo scene and I don't have any kind of monitoring device. My car has 58,000KM on it (yes KM...I'm from Canada). I really need help with this!!! My MAF has never been cleaned, the plugs have never been changed, and I hace a Cobb SRI. That's the only mods other than replacing the resonators with sraight pipe. Other than the chattering from the throw-out bearing, this car is great. But the knock is getting me quite worried. What should I do....clean the MAF, change the plugs...????

I used to have some knock on my car, once I went with a step colder spark plugs it disappeared! Most people either use a COBB AP(what I use) or a DaskHawk! When was the last time you changed your plugs?

I've never changed the plugs or cleaned the MAF sensor. Should I start there and report back?

Don't clean the MAF. It's not an open-element MAF and it's not a cheap part if you eff it up.

Check the plugs. What fuel are you using?

Make sure you are running the highest octane premium fuel you can get, and yes, start by replacing the plugs. Go with stock heat range.

I use 91 octane here in Canada...cause 93 is a pain in the ass to get. I am changing the plugs this weekend, along with my oil ( castrol full synthetic). Is it normal to have damn near black oil 2000km after an oil change with this car? I used to have an 01' Jetta VR6 that had oil that looked like it was just changed, after 6000KM of use.

Doesn't sound like it. I go 5000 miles on pennzoil synth and it's not super dark until around 4500 miles. 2000 km is about 1200 miles so it should still be kinda clean. unless you use bad oil filters?

Stock oil filters... and Castrol Syntec oil...The car only has 55,000km on it...Only engine mod is a Cob SRI. Now this s*** is starting to worry me. I get my oil changes at Mr. Lube (warranty approved). Could they possibly be using a shittier (for a lack of a better term) oil filter and just not letting me know? ****!! This car is killing me....

As said before, use the highest octane you can get. If you can get 93, use it.

Do oil changes yourself, this way you verify the changes are actually done and with the oil and filter you purchased.

If the oil is getting that dirty, that fast, how clean is your air filter?

Are you using name brand or off brand gas? off brand gas, even the higher octane, is of such poor quality that you can get knock from using it.

I still have warranty on my car, therefore, changing my own oil is not an option. I usually go to Shell or Chevron....the ocassional Esso, depending on where I am. 93 octane is a real PITA to get. I'm going out tomorrow to grab some new, stock heat range plugs. Should I start going back to the stealership for the oil changes? The only differences with Mr. Lube is, no appointment...and a savings of around $10.

Air filter is quite clean on the Cobb SRI...That is most certainly not a problem. Maybe I should carefully clean the MAF sensor tomorrow. It won't hurt...unless i bust it.

Sounds to me like the plugs are done..! I would definately say get new plugs and get them gapped back to stock range of .030 and see if it goes away....I had almost the same issue and found that the plugs were way to far out of spec, regapped them and bam all is well.

Back