Engine Cleaning?

I have never washed or cleaned engine since I started driving at 16. I have not have any interest in cars until I bought my Mazdaspeed Protege. So please forgive me if the questions seem really stupid.
Has anyone in this forum washed their engine with degreaser? What kind of degreaser would suit our car best? What are the specific parts in our engine needs to be covered when I wash the engine?

Thanks.

I prefer....

"Simple Green" It works great! You can spray the entire engine down (and the engine compartment), let it sit a few minutes, and hose it off with water. Instructions on the bottle. (thumb)

Last edited:
Yes you can even get it at Wal-Mart. Shouldn't be any more that $3 a bottle.

looks like i now have plans for the weekend... beer, grilling-out, fireworks and de-greasing my engine bay :)

Just be careful and use only products that others recommend. Simple Green works great. Some other degreasers will leave a white residue on the black plastic and hoses that is a pain to get off. I have had experience with other vehicles I have owned...
Joe

kwiktsi said:
Just be careful and use only products that others recommend. Simple Green works great. Some other degreasers will leave a white residue on the black plastic and hoses that is a pain to get off. I have had experience with other vehicles I have owned...
Joe
'

yup...the gunk engine brites did that to my valve cover and timing belt cover, hoes...basically everythin black...nothin but simple green from now on

Why!!! SON OF A b****!!!!!

......something we all agree on!! It's a miracle, folks! It truly is!

SIMPLE GREEN - It's all you really need to know.

Re: Why!!! SON OF A b****!!!!!

AGR#7 said:
......something we all agree on!! It's a miracle, folks! It truly is!

SIMPLE GREEN - It's all you really need to know.

Well, I don't like the smell- it makes me want to puke.

There's your argument :D
Joe

Re: Re: Why!!! SON OF A b****!!!!!

kwiktsi said:

Well, I don't like the smell- it makes me want to puke.

There's your argument :D
Joe

Okay,,, Joe! That's perfect! (chair) (rofl)

A hint......don't sniff it!

not sure if this thread is still alive, but i just got back from walmart with my bottle of simple green. Can i spray everything under the hood, and then hose off everything. My question is there anything under the hood that i should avoid getting wet?

Just want to make sure i don't hurt my baby - Thanks guys

ppl tell us what area you need to cover besides MAF, Filter, Spark plugs, alternator...and.....etc...

I'm still a bit nervous going at my engine with water. So I cover the intake, MAF, plugs, and alternator with plastic bags or foil? I'd assume the engine is pretty water tight anyway..

you american kids don't have Canadian Tire, but i'm sure you guys have something similar. look for a generic engine foam cleaner. cover any vital spots (maf, filter, etc), then spray the foam everywhere, wait a few minutes and rinse off with low pressure water.

amazing results from a $3 can.

cleanengine.jpg

Back