engine break-in and fuel efficiency

barryWest

So what has been your experience in the average break-in period for the mazda5 engine in regards to potential improvements in fuel efficiency?

In my own limited exerperince with new cars, I noticed a gradual increase in fuel efficiency with our previous vehicles (an acura and a toyota) once they approached 10,000K.

Compared to the 06 I started getting very similar MPG with the 08 after the first 1200 miles, but as per how consistent it is, I guess I'll have to wait-n-see :D

i am at 461 miles now.. and i am really curious about MPG..

We sold Oddyssey to get M5 and it better be a fuel misser..(chair)

i am at 461 miles now.. and i am really curious about MPG..

We sold Oddyssey to get M5 and it better be a fuel misser..(chair)

Fuel consumption is one of those things that seems to vary widely on this forum from individual to individual. Some guys claim to get 32-34mpg and above.
I consistently get 100km/10L which translates into approximately 24mpg. This is obtained primarily over city driving, but hwy driving with a full load doesn't get much better numbers. And I do tend to drive somewhat aggressively since I installed the CAI.
While 24mpg is nothing to jump and shout about, it's waaay better than my wife's 2003 MPV. I'm quite happy with these numbers given that there is a high fun-factor involved with driving the Mazda5.
Anthony

If I try I can get over 30MPG without too much trouble in my manual 5. If I Zoom-Zoom it the entire tank, I get like 26. But I should note, a lot of roads I use in the area I keep a cruising speed of 45-55mph... ideal for higher fuel economy.

I may have noticed a 1-2 MPG increase after 10k miles, but wasn't anything night/day.

we got about 20mpg on the freeway in our AT mazda5. yes, 20. i changed the oil, air filter, made sure the tires were inflated, and got 20. a/c was set in between 70-72.

we got about 20mpg on the freeway in our AT mazda5. yes, 20. i changed the oil, air filter, made sure the tires were inflated, and got 20. a/c was set in between 70-72.
you say 'got about 20mpg'... did you dump the 5? Wonder if it was/is the O2 sensor bad outa the factory...

My 5 has gotten 30mpg avg when driven conservatively. I never had any bad mileage numbers even when the car was brand new.

lol... I remember the good ol' days when you came in here throwing down your ridiculous tankful mileage numbers approaching 500 (confused)
Skylab...
SSPX0215.jpg

you say 'got about 20mpg'... did you dump the 5? Wonder if it was/is the O2 sensor bad outa the factory...

Yes, we ended up trading it in. Not because if the mileage, though. It originally got the high 20s, but in the last 6 months, it dipped to 20.

Now see I get the samething and I do mostly freeway driving and highway driving, I change my oil on time and have a new filter and tires are good also and little to no heat or A/C but before any mods i was only getting around 20-23 mpg nad I think my high was 25but that was only one time

It does vary with driver.

My wife drives it and gets 20 to 22 mpg. I drive it and I get 25 to 29 mpg.

So a few thoughts/observations.

- I noticed this past summer the local gas stations all switched over to E10 gas (gas with 10% Ethanal). So since ethanal is less efficient as gas, I have seen a slight decrease in mileage.

- On the Mazda3 I owned before wife traded it for the Mazd5, I didn't see a big jump in miles per gallon till after 10k or so...

- 70 mph also appears to be a "magical" number. If I consistantly curise above 70 mph, I would get 25 mpg, but if I keep it at 70 or just a bit below, I can get 28/29mpg. I noticed the same thing in the 3 too.

My two cents...

Hmm.. We have E10 here also...

Not sure how much i get per gallon... i average anywhere from 310 to three 320 miles a tank...

Advanced my Intake and Exhaust cams 3 degree each and now i can get 340+ before the gas light comes on. Yea and i guess it does depend how you drive.

As for me 80% of my driving is in stop and go traffic. 10% pounding the sh!t out of my car. And 10% cruising.

Also noticed my AFR stay lean unless i go WOT for a while or climbing hills. So since my engine is running lean 14.5-15.7 most of the time, that could help explain why i get "good?" gas mileage.

Well I just filled up for the 2nd time. First tank was 25.4mpg (98% city) and the second was 24.8 (100% city). 5sp auto...

Back