engine after engine after engine

jbencosme

:
2003mazdaspeed protege
i have had my mazdaspeed protege for about 6 mounths and im getting my third engine for the car fml!! im tired of this crap im desperate for advise on what to do i need my car to run reliable with the turbo but that seems to be impossible once i get the engine put in i wanted to rebuilt it but i cant do it all at the same time cause that will cost me close to 3000 dollars and i dont got that so what do you think might be the most important things to get replaced on the used motor in my msp from the wires to the internals...what do i need? oh and would getting a tune make my car reliable without having feul cut and many other problems ive had in the past

I see you live in FL. Drive the car to the beach, put it in neutral and push it into the ocean. Then go by another car. This will make you feel better, as well as get you into a different car! Double WIN!

I see you live in FL. Drive the car to the beach, put it in neutral and push it into the ocean. Then go by another car. This will make you feel better, as well as get you into a different car! Double WIN!

lmfao i wish i can do that but then i would be megafucked cause i need a car but do you really think i should just sell the car and buy something else this msp is super clean i wish there can be something i can do wheni get the car back....besides me selling the car what otherr advise can u guys give me i know it all is goin to cost me an arm and a leg to get it running reliable and smooth but yea im open to more advise

Honestly, if I were you, I'd put a fresh engine in it and sell it. Get out while you can. These things just have too many problems. Read up on the Common Problems section and you'll see what I'm referring too. I loved my MSP, but seriously couldn't keep up with the problems and was lucky to get rid of it without having to replace the engine (and NO I didn't beat it up). In most cars, you can blame bad drivers for cars breaking down. But in this case, Mazda just put a bad motor in a nice looking car. There are those few that dont have many problems, but they are few and far between.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd put a fresh engine in it and sell it. Get out while you can. These things just have too many problems. Read up on the Common Problems section and you'll see what I'm referring too. I loved my MSP, but seriously couldn't keep up with the problems and was lucky to get rid of it without having to replace the engine (and NO I didn't beat it up). In most cars, you can blame bad drivers for cars breaking down. But in this case, Mazda just put a bad motor in a nice looking car. There are those few that dont have many problems, but they are few and far between.

Eh I wouldnt go that far as saying bad engine. 170k on my old p5 and it didnt burn ay oil and it was beat on by myself and the previous owner. lol

With that said the MSP and NA engine is pretty much the same engine. Now these cars are already close to the factory limits stock when turbo charged. They were never DESIGNED to be 1/4 mile racers. Yes they have their fair share of issues but so does the MS3 that your rolling around in. Both cars are known to blow their motors(yes the MSP is a little easier then the ms3). The MS3 is also known for turbo issues where the MSP isnt. The MS3 has motor mount issues where the engine "falls out" as some say. The MSP has sway bar bushing issues and the list goes on.

lolz dude you serioius? on mocc people have had smoking turbos, the metal on the motormounts breaks, blown engines

Eh I wouldnt go that far as saying bad engine. 170k on my old p5 and it didnt burn ay oil and it was beat on by myself and the previous owner. lol

With that said the MSP and NA engine is pretty much the same engine. Now these cars are already close to the factory limits stock when turbo charged. They were never DESIGNED to be 1/4 mile racers. Yes they have their fair share of issues but so does the MS3 that your rolling around in. Both cars are known to blow their motors(yes the MSP is a little easier then the ms3). The MS3 is also known for turbo issues where the MSP isnt. The MS3 has motor mount issues where the engine "falls out" as some say. The MSP has sway bar bushing issues and the list goes on.

Oh, I'm not saying the FS is a completely bad engine....just the MSP version. That engine is not meant for boost unless completely built to handle it; which will cost you several thousand dollars (more than $3k).
I know the MS3 has issues, I never said they didn't. Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction, but I have yet to hear about any smoking turbo issues on a stock MS3; as well as blown engines on a stock MS3. The majority of threads I've come across on smoking turbos have been the result of larger downpipes. The MS3 is a MUCH better built car; and without mods or abuse, can be completely problem free. Call me a fanboy, but my car has 60k on it now without even a hint of any problems whatsoever. I haven't seen anybody with an MSP that could say the same thing. Yeah, the motor mounts are an issue, but the MSP has the same problems. Its just that the problems with the MSP are much more abundant.

I was only joking around with my initial post btw.....not trying to cause an argument.

lolz dude you serioius? on mocc people have had smoking turbos, the metal on the motormounts breaks, blown engines

Stock or modded? I would be extremely surprised if A) they were stock, and B) it WASN'T abused. This car holds up extremely well (from what I've seen) when you don't beat up on it. Even when I had my intake, bpv, and tip, it still ran excellent without a single problem for several thousand miles. When you beat up on the car, its going to fall apart. No, the motor mounts are not strong and do fail, but that's as a result of engine lash from hard accelerations and hard shifting. As stated, 60k on mine and had my mounts checked a few thousand miles ago......they're in great shape. So they do last if you take care of it.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm not saying the FS is a completely bad engine....just the MSP version. That engine is not meant for boost unless completely built to handle it; which will cost you several thousand dollars (more than $3k).
I know the MS3 has issues, I never said they didn't. Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction, but I have yet to hear about any smoking turbo issues on a stock MS3; as well as blown engines on a stock MS3. The MS3 is a MUCH better built car; and without mods or abuse, can be completely problem free. Call me a fanboy, but my car has 60k on it now without even a hint of any problems whatsoever. I haven't seen anybody with an MSP that could say the same thing. And the majority of threads I've come across on smoking turbos have been the result of larger downpipes. Yeah, the motor mounts are an issue, but the MSP has the same problems. Its just that the problems with the MSP are much more abundant.

I was only joking around with my initial post btw.....not trying to cause an argument.

Stock or modded? I would be extremely surprised if A) they were stock, and B) it WASN'T abused.

Key points... you dont hear of any MSP's having many issues stock other then crap tastic plastic boost tubes. WGA could be argued wear and tear iteam. Sway bar busings wear and tear.. grant it prematurely I will give you that. The LSD issue is modded issue i would assume. I haven't read of any stock MSPs having lsd issues. thats not to say that didnt happen. As you know people who mod drive their cars harder.

Dammit, with your ninja post. I was just about to retract my statement, because I just remembered that I did read about smoking turbo issues on literally a couple of MS3's and CX7's. But either way, the MSP just didn't hold up as well to me. I guess its a hit or miss though. My MSP had over 100k on it by the time I got rid of it and was still on the stock LSD from what I could tell. But I did have a lot of issues with the coils, cracked manifold, motor mounts, vcts problems, and yes.....those awful intercooler tubes. I owned the car for over a year, put over $2k into regular maintenance to try and bring it back from near death, and it NEVER ran right. Sorry, I'm just bitter if you couldn't tell. I loved the car, but hated the maintenance nightmare.

Dammit, with your ninja post. I was just about to retract my statement, because I just remembered that I did read about smoking turbo issues on literally a couple of MS3's and CX7's. But either way, the MSP just didn't hold up as well to me. I guess its a hit or miss though. My MSP had over 100k on it by the time I got rid of it and was still on the stock LSD from what I could tell. But I did have a lot of issues with the coils, cracked manifold, motor mounts, vcts problems, and yes.....those awful intercooler tubes. I owned the car for over a year, put over $2k into regular maintenance to try and bring it back from near death, and it NEVER ran right. Sorry, I'm just bitter if you couldn't tell. I loved the car, but hated the maintenance nightmare.

Trust me I'm going through the same thing with mine. Also keep in mind to that these cars are a bit older then the MS3 and not to mention its the first MS car mazda came out with.

I completely agree. The MS3 is only 3-4 yrs old, so not many problems are widespread just yet.

Ok, sorry for the threadjack.

Well I knew what I was getting into but I love the body style of the MSP. I decided to go forged since day 1. I wanted reliability and drivability out of her. To be honest I have not spent as much as people here throw out numbers. I have spent a total of $2200 on going forged and machine work alone. I am going to assemble the engine though. If you really want out, now is the time before you start throwing more money at her. This car may not be the car for you or what you were expecting.

i really dont have anymore money to put in the car so i would have to sell it as soon as i get it back but what car sshould i get after that i wanted to get a 240sx anything that is rwd and reliable

that really sux......I hear all these sad stories of MSP's exploding and maintenance nightmares. I have had one issue, that came at 160xxx miles. I had to replace the 3-4 shift fork, at which time I replaced clutch, flywheel, welded the stock diff, and put ATP wga in. Other than that issue, which I fixed myself in my garage, i love this car and plan on keeping it for a few more years. I don't drive it hard, but I do drive it spirited sometimes and never had an issue. I must be one of the lucky ones.

that really sux......I hear all these sad stories of MSP's exploding and maintenance nightmares. I have had one issue, that came at 160xxx miles. I had to replace the 3-4 shift fork, at which time I replaced clutch, flywheel, welded the stock diff, and put ATP wga in. Other than that issue, which I fixed myself in my garage, i love this car and plan on keeping it for a few more years. I don't drive it hard, but I do drive it spirited sometimes and never had an issue. I must be one of the lucky ones.

yea you should throw me some luck down here man lol anyone have any ideas of a car i can find for under 6000 dollhairs

instead of the turbo fsde, replace the motor with a KL swap and there you go. nice looking car with a reliable v6..

Back