End of warranty on 2007 CX-7. Should I replace the timing chain or wait?

mtncrux

:
2007 Mazda CX7
I have a 2007 CX-7 with only 24k miles on it. I have had it since new and it has been very reliable. I haven't had any of the common issues with the AC compressor, turbo, VVT etc. The only problems that I have had were a leak in a transfer case seal (fixed under warranty) and a rear shock that went bad at 6 years old. Overall I can't complain.

The warranty on the VVT issue is ending in a few months and I am wondering if I should go ahead and pay to have the timing chain and VVT gear replaced, or just wait until I hear the noise? I know that sometimes the chain will get loose and make noise to warn you that it is about to go, but what are the chances that it will just break with no warning.

The timing chain is not making any noise at this time, but it has me worried.

Should I replace it now or wait a few thousand more miles and hope that Mazda issues a recall?

Is there anything else I should replace at the same time as the timing chain (ie water pump)?

-David

Excellent question. My 2010 has 75k and none of the common issues either. I look forward to what people have to say regarding this

Mine was making that VVT noise upon start up when it got cool here last wk. I have a 07 and almost 82k miles. luckily I had the 100k ext warranty and timing chain and all related parts were replaced under warranty. Mazda wanted all the service records beforehand and thankful it has been dealer maintained since I owned it (bought it new in Aug 2007).

I would try and get it replaced under warranty but thats only if ur dealer can duplicate the noise. My water pump was inspected and dealer said it was ok and replacement not needed.

So I am just waiting for the turbo to go bad and start to smoke...otherwise this is the second thing that I have had replaced under warranty-the other was the AC compressor x 2.

Back