Emergency brake light stays on in cold weather?

maxek

:
2003.5 MP5
I just wonder why my emergency brake light goes on and stays on in cold weather. After I hit my brakes little harder It goes on? Once the car warms up or I shut it off, the light goes off and then comes back on when I hit my brakes again.

maxek said:
I just wonder why my emergency brake light goes on and stays on in cold weather. After I hit my brakes little harder It goes on? Once the car warms up or I shut it off, the light goes off and then comes back on when I hit my brakes again.

Hah Somebodies going to ask it ...I might as well.....is the EBrake handle the whole way down?

zumzumzoom03 said:
Hah Somebodies going to ask it ...I might as well.....is the EBrake handle the whole way down?

Yes it is. It has nothing to do with e-brake.

my brake light stayed on when i had bad brakes, too. i changed them, and it was off again. when was the last time you changed your brakes?

AlturredMP5 said:
my brake light stayed on when i had bad brakes, too. i changed them, and it was off again. when was the last time you changed your brakes?
It is probably a combination of pad wear and low fluid plus the cold will contract the fluid in the brake system somewhat

Mine just started doing this too but its just the e-brake light that stays on steady for a while till the car warms up a bit then goes off. And yes the handle is all the way down. Is there a brake light seperate from the e-brake light?

its your brake fluid that is low. if you top it off, you will be fine. this happened to me a couple of years ago. it goes on when you hit the brakes bc more fluid is going into the brake lines, and the resivour (great speller, cant you tell) gets low, which turns the ebrake light on. you might want to check your brakes, because more fluid goes into the line when the brake pads wear down, and the piston on the caliper has to travel more to apply pressure to the disc.
craig

Mine just started doing this too....will agree with everyone on the fluid and pads. My car just passed inspection but front brakes are at 3 and rears at 2...so gotta change them soon.

gottacatchup said:
Mine just started doing this too but its just the e-brake light that stays on steady for a while till the car warms up a bit then goes off. And yes the handle is all the way down. Is there a brake light seperate from the e-brake light?

im right down the road in beaumont, and it hasnt gotten cold enough for the weather to affect the fluid level here. brake fluid has a colder freezing point than water, and it hasnt even been freezing here every night. what you are describing is exactly what happened to me. then the light started to stay on everytime i drove the car. so i took it to a shop and had the brakes changed. they said that causes the light to come on too, not sure i believe them, but oh well. they said if i had driven it much further, the brakes wouldve bitten into the rotors. so id start looking to chang my brakes if i were you.

i bet if you added a small bit, you would be surprised at what would happen...:)

I added the break fluid today and it seems that this is the trick. So far no light has come on. I will know for sure in the morning when is really cold. My brake pods are in good shape.

Thanks guys.

Yes. Adding the fluid does the trick.

Last edited:
Back