electrical upgrades

I've seen these things before & I suspect they are just a large capacitor housed in fancy packaging.

The method behind their gains is to provide an instant compensating power dump when the alternator ramps up when IGN power consumption equally ramps up after right foot buries into the floor.

Another explanation

As the alternator loads up (when the IGN ramps up) thus draining engine power, the capacitor discharges into the vehicles electrical system quicker than the battery can thus taking the strain off the alternator & reducing the power drop in the engine. The alternator ramps slower as a result & this reduces its initial power drain.

If you really want to go "Hard-core" then buy a huge 1-Farad capacitor like the Audiophiles do for their Super-charged stereo systems. They are quite big so finding a spot in the engine bay may be hard. To work best they need to be as close as possible to the battery.

These devices usually give the best gains with smaller or near dead batteries where the alternator is doing far more work compared to a larger capacity & newer battery.

As for the HKS Twin-power. Good product. Used one on my RX-8 & noticed a gain immediately. Adapting it to a JC3SE is possible but can't picture a JCESE getting a run.

REgards

Last edited:
I agree with dave.. It looks like some sort of capacitor.. There are smaller caps available (.5) and you could run them in series if you need to.. Maybe that would help with space issue.. But to be honest, large battery in Cosmo should be good enough and good grounding will help.

HKS twinpower.. I thought of this.. and I think you could do it if you have 2 of them. I have it on my FD and my 8 and I think it does its job. I have thought about this but I need to really check into the wiring..

Back