Electric Window Mod

see that auto thing, thats is now lit, u cant see it during the day, but u can during the night, how do u think the battery is going to do?

pa260024.jpg

it will be fine, it's no worse then having a dash clock installed into the car (although our cars don't have one), even when the dash clocks aren't lit, it is still running, to keep time. Just don't store your car for more than 3 months without driving it, lol, you should be fine

Equinox said:
it will be fine, it's no worse then having a dash clock installed into the car (although our cars don't have one), even when the dash clocks aren't lit, it is still running, to keep time. Just don't store your car for more than 3 months without driving it, lol, you should be fine

cool (2thumbs)

no driving car for 3 months = hell on earth (bang)

Nice write up. And nice pics by jrodhotrod. Gonna go do this mod right now since it looks so easy. I know it's 1:30am but I'm on house watch until 5am because of all the fires in the city.

Midnightracer22, I wouldn't worry about the Auto light. It's most likely not drawing any more power than an alarm light, and I use to have 8. HAHAHA, everyone coming up to the car knew there was an alarm!!!

Done. Easy mod. Nice mod. Not the perfect fix, but a good one. Took me maybe 10 minutes. Hardest parts for me, finding a philips screw driver(cant find anything in this house, its all torn apart ready for evacuation), and pushing that damn pin out to move it. Thankfully I was already familiar with that area of the car. I love these 1 wire mods!!

Now I, or someone, needs to find a way to add auto down to the other 3 windows. I'm guessing it's another relay/cap solution.

I'm the guy who wrote this up in the first place.

I didn't even notice the "AUTO" light being on. The wiring diagram uses a symbol for a diode and a resistor in series, so this must be an LED. It must use a really tiny amount of current, could probably be on for years without killing the battery.

If you simply object to it being on, I think you'd be in trouble here. The connections are inside the switch assembly, so you'd have to get inside the thing to break out the power lead for that LED and provide it separate, switched power.

Having the power windows only work for a short time would be more involved. That would require adding a timer of some sort and having both switched and unswitched power to work with. Both are available at the Joint Box, so you could locate the circuitry there. Basically, you'd use a signal from the switched power to set the timer, which would interrupt the unswitched power some time after the switched power was shut off. I personally don't see much point to all that work.

Auto functions on all four windows? I don't even like it on the driver's window! But lemme tell ya, that'd be hard. It's an electronic controller of some sort, and it's built into the switch. You'd have to buy three more switch panels like the one in the driver's door -- or make up your own electronic controller, which I suspect would be a lot like the timer described above except the time would be a lot shorter.

Really nice job of adding photos to the text, jrodhotrod. Does all this wisdom get archived somewhere?

Window mod

Did this today in about 10 minutes... took me longer to gather the tools than to actually make the change...

Thanks Kirbert! (thumb)
(yellowp5)

kirbert, it dosnt bother me, i was just worried about battery drain, but everyones reassured me about that so im no longer worried about it, thanx man, great mod :D

Kirbert said:
Auto functions on all four windows? I don't even like it on the driver's window! But lemme tell ya, that'd be hard.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's going to be complicated... And what ever I do to the wireing has to be done three times. So I don't think I'm going to be able to fit the whole circuit under that panel. Plus I would probably add 3 momentary switches, instead of having it set up like the stock one. That way everything is out of the switch cluster. But, beacuse of all this I might have to track down where all the wires go, but under that panel might be the cleanest place to do it. I went through and wrote down all the combos of wires that need to be going on to do up and down to which window. It's going to be tough, but I'm going to try one of these days. Maybe when the wild fires clear up. I wish it was as easy as programming, just there a little IF THEN ELSE. I just don't understand electronics like I understand programming...

Now if someone can figure out how to do this to the sunroof, you will be deemed the P5 demi-god. :D

Back