Electric hum sound when car is in 'ON' position.

adgjqetuo

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT
Is this normal for when the car is at the 'ON' position without the engine running? I've never had a car this loud in this mode before.

Last edited:
Probably the fuel pump. On my ex VW, when I opened the driver's door, the pump would turn on(!).

I do believe that mine makes a hum even in the off position after shutdown. I walk past the front of my car when I get home and I can hear a hum, I have never stood there and timed how long it continues.

Last edited:
It's def way louder in person. I noticed it while I was adjusting some of the personalization settings this afternoon. As soon as I push the car off it goes away. It's when you press the button twice without the brake so the car is on but the engine isn't.

I don't think it's the fuel pump that should just be a prime noise that goes away after a few seconds. This never goes away as long as the car is at the 'ON' position. It's coming from the engine compartment.

I will try to take another video today - maybe with the hood up so it plays more distinct in the video.

Previous cars I've had have been / are completely silent while at the on position which is why I found it odd.

Last edited:
Here is another video - it's a little longer but hear it out.

There isn't any noise when engine is off or on ACC mode, but when it's set to ON mode it's there. I went through all 3 modes and got a little closer so the mic picks it up better.

Given the amount of electronics, modern cars have plenty electrical noises.

I cannot pinpoint exactly want that hum is, but it is normal. It's more of a whine. Hear it on my 2013 2.0 and my girlfriend's 2015 2.5. The noise is similar to what I hear in the E90 and F30 3 series along with many other cars.

I just checked my 2013 and heard the whine you're describing as soon as I hit the start button. It continued through the second button push and continued still after I hit the button a third time and the ignition was completely off. It stopped a minute or so later of its own accord. My guess is that it's the electric fuel pump that shuts itself off once the system is pressurized. I also find this kind of thing not in the least bit alarming given the complexity of modern automotive electronics.

Thank you for the confirmation! My '13 Subaru is virtually quiet when set to 'ON' so it was different to me. This is my first Mazda so I thought I'd ask. I do agree with computers / electronics. It sure does have a lot of systems on board.

I have always attributed mine to the headlights on my 2014 GT w/tech. I park in the garage and the headlights always go on before I shut the engine off. Maybe try setting the headlights to off (vs auto) and see if that makes a difference when you park it in the garage.

Nah, what you're hearing are these guys, warming up:
(okay, these guys are from the old MX-3 V6 but hey, I guess they're in the CX-5 too!)

Nah, what you're hearing are these guys, warming up:
(okay, these guys are from the old MX-3 V6 but hey, I guess they're in the CX-5 too!)
Fun factoid: at the time of its production, the 1.8 ltr MX-3 engine was the smallest production V-6 on the planet! That record may still stand.

may be an EVAP pump. Some manufacturers use a vacuum pump in the EVAP system to check for leaks.

My cx-5 makes a noise like what you are describing. I mentally wrote it off to something electrical, and forgot about it. I figured if it fails I'm covered by a warranty.

Back