Eh?

Today in the craptastic weather were having i found a pool of murky almost oily water sitting near door of the driver side. thinking, oh great i really hope its not coming from me. so i drove around some stopped at the mall, picked up some V-day stuff for the g/f walked back to my car noticed some more murky water. Now im thinking its gotta be from my car. popped the hood check the dipstick,

|------------------------------F|--|-----|E this looked like where the oil was sitting at (note the | is where the oil kinda stopped)

Now the last time i did an oil change was literally less then 1.5k miles ago because im installing a turbo which means a modified oil pan was installed. but i could have sworn 4 quarts filled it past the F mark on the dipstick, and yes i was on a even flat surface, with my car running longer then 2 mins. so i rush to pep boys throw some mobile1 5w-30 synthetic in which is what i used when i did my last oil change and now its really past the F mark. i used maybe a little less then half a quart of oil. So for the next 2 weeks before my turbo install im going to keep checking it, i know im not burning it, no oil marks on my bumper. no blue smoke. maybe the pan wasnt bolted tight enough, who knows but all i can say was i freaked out for about 2 hours. i cant afford to replace an engine not now.

So thats my rant. if anyone has any suggestions on how to check if im leaking by all means. i threw some cardboard underneath the engine the oil pan to see maybe its comming from there, but i doubt because of the wet ground and the snow that i will see it. other then that car is running perfect.

Last edited:
if you're this paranoid about losing a bit of oil, wait until you install that turbo kit. it will be hell for you.

s6m1l88 said:
if you're this paranoid about losing a bit of oil, wait until you install that turbo kit. it will be hell for you.

im well aware im going to burn a qt of oil every 1-2 months with the turbo installed. just not expecting problems now when everything is going sooo perfect.

this may sound really freakin stupid... but did u make sure u put the dipstick in all the way? my girl pulled that on one me a while ago. a week after i changed the oil, she dipped it to where the plastic sleave starts, not all the way in. so i put in about a quart and 1/2 more in and checked it myself to find it almost double full. now i look back and laugh. probably not ur problem... but figured i'd throw it out there.

ya i did, i let the car sit, its not leaking. everything appears to be ok maybe because of the modified oil pan i might need just a tad more then 4 quarts. eh who knows for now things are ok.

be careful. it started out as a quart of oil every few weeks for me, then it got to the point where i lost a lot of it really quick and had to get my built motor rebuilt again.

smo0f said:
be careful. it started out as a quart of oil every few weeks for me, then it got to the point where i lost a lot of it really quick and had to get my built motor rebuilt again.

ya, but i havent "from what i can see" seen the oil leaking. at anytime weither the car is off or idle. i just dont see where or how it can be leaking. less then 1 hour ago i parked the car under some cardboard, this is after 3 hours of driving, nothing! not 1 spot of oil. the only thing i can think of is when we changed the oil pan i was dumping in my 3rd qt of oil and i clearly remember missing, so i lost about an ounce, thats it. also the oil line is steel braided line and its a BIG LINE which we changed out as well, so maybe when i was checking the dipstick while the car was running. oil was being pumped so maybe thats why i wasnt getting a accurate reading either.

yea i couldn't tell i had an oil leak either. supposedly it ended up being a bad oil filter

Back