EGR Recirculation CEL

MPNick said:
So get out your tools and fix it.
I'm trying to figure out HOW to fix it. I mean, the car runs fine, I just don't want the CEL. I'm trying to see how other people got the CEL to go away.

Kooldino said:
I'm trying to figure out HOW to fix it. I mean, the car runs fine, I just don't want the CEL. I'm trying to see how other people got the CEL to go away.

Drill and tap the exhaust manifold on top of the number # running. Get a brass adaptor thats 1/8th pipe to 1/4 flare{brake line}. run a 1/4'' brake line to the egr valve. Use exhaust air tube hose and two clamps and you are done. No more cel for the egr flow.

Kooldino said:
Sweet. Is your vac ok? Do you have pics?

Far as I know...it's been like this for 2+ years now. When we pulled codes before the only one we got was for running no cats. Fixed that with Vielster's resistor. No CELs since (shrug)

Anywho, I've attached a pic, but it's sorta hard to see. The EGR tube was not going to mate up with the Bosal header so we plugged it at the header (small rectangle), cut the tube back and put one of those small shrouded filters on it (larger rectangle).

Attachments

• p5_fan_egr.JPG
    p5_fan_egr.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 173
MPNick said:
Drill and tap the exhaust manifold on top of the number # running. Get a brass adaptor thats 1/8th pipe to 1/4 flare{brake line}.

Will brass hold up to the heat?

run a 1/4'' brake line to the egr valve. Use exhaust air tube hose and two clamps and you are done.

What's exhaust air tube hose? Where can I get it?

Rdshark1 said:
Far as I know...it's been like this for 2+ years now. When we pulled codes before the only one we got was for running no cats. Fixed that with Vielster's resistor. No CELs since (shrug)

Anywho, I've attached a pic, but it's sorta hard to see. The EGR tube was not going to mate up with the Bosal header so we plugged it at the header (small rectangle), cut the tube back and put one of those small shrouded filters on it (larger rectangle).

Do you have a closer picture of the filter? Do you ever get any stalling issues?

Kooldino said:
Will brass hold up to the heat?

What's exhaust air tube hose? Where can I get it?

Yes brass will be fine.

NAPA sells the hose. They sell a repair kit for the Mustang air tube that go from the Cats to the cylinder heads. It is part of the air pump system.

I don't think it's a good idea drilling into your exhaust manifold unless you take it completely out and apart from the turbo so that you can clean and chamfer your hole. If you get any bits of metal in your turbo it will hate you forever.(fight)

Kooldino said:
Do you have a closer picture of the filter? Do you ever get any stalling issues?

Closer picture? Nope, but I can attempt to remember to take one when I get home! (boom07)

Stalling issues? Never.(thumb)

If you put grease on the bit and the tap, it will catch the shavings. You can also use one of those "pen" type magnets that are long and skinny to get inside the hole you drilled. I saw the magnet thing on a TV show where they put an EGT into a Diesel truck's mani. I have done the grease thing on my oil pan and there weren't any pieces in the oil after I drained it, that I could see.

The grease thing was Nicks idea, when I tapped my oil pan!!!

ddogg777 said:
I don't think it's a good idea drilling into your exhaust manifold unless you take it completely out and apart from the turbo so that you can clean and chamfer your hole. If you get any bits of metal in your turbo it will hate you forever.(fight)

Actually, I've heard from many reputable tuners that it's completely safe to drill into the mani as long as the car is running. The exhaust gases will suck the shavings out safely. The grease can't hurt either.

Okie-dokie. Here are the requested pics. The filter is one of those small shrouded K&N filters, most likely the breather one (gift from friend!).

Please forgive the twisted bracketry and overall dirtiness(thumb)

Attachments

• egr1.jpg
    egr1.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 102
  • egr2.jpg
    egr2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 100
  • egr3.jpg
    egr3.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 101
  • egr4.jpg
    egr4.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 97
Rdshark1 said:
Okie-dokie. Here are the requested pics. The filter is one of those small shrouded K&N filters, most likely the breather one (gift from friend!).

Please forgive the twisted bracketry and overall dirtiness(thumb)
Ahh, I see. I may give that a shot. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back