Hank3

Asian Persuasion <><
Contributor
:
2010 Mazda5 GT
--->CLICK FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE<---

30 More Horsepower Makes All the Difference

Published: 02/06/2013 - by Steve Cole Smith, Contributor

"We'd love it even more with another 30 horsepower onboard, but the Mazda CX-5 is still a fun drive despite its meager engine power."

That's what we wrote after our 2013 Mazda CX-5 road test with 2.0-liter Skyactiv four-cylinder engine. For 2014, Mazda has answered the call by giving Touring and Grand Touring versions of the 2014 Mazda CX-5 a new 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine rated at 184 hp. That's exactly 29 more hp than the 2.0-liter engine, which remains standard on the 2014 CX-5 Sport.

Even more important is the new engine's extra 35 pound-feet of torque. We're driving a 2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring around trendy Austin, Texas, where rush hour has become a competitive event as everyone makes a dash for their homes in the suburbs. Right away, that additional grunt helps us catch holes in traffic that would have been off limits in last year's CX-5.

I love how in that article they state "In the Mazda 6, the 2.5-liter engine is offered with a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission, but if you want a manual in your 2014 CX-5, you'll have to drop back to the 2.0-liter Sport model, as the automatic is standard with the 2.5-liter engine. It's too bad, because the manual is startlingly good. However, Mazda officials tell us the take rate for the three-pedal CX-5 is a disappointing 7 percent."

Well no sh*t - it is 7 percent because many buyers want a few more creature comforts than offered on the bottom end. Offer the manual across your range and see what happens. Don't gimp it to the stripper model. At least with the Mazda6 it is available on the Touring trim. If people were able to buy a Cx-5 with leather seats, moonroof, etc. and had the option of getting the manual transmission, sales would be higher. How much higher is of course up for debate - I tend to doubt that it would raise the numbers much, but there would be a rise. I personally would still be getting the AT since my wife doesn't drive stick.

I mentioned this in another thread, but the biggest surprise to me is that the 2.5 is standard on the touring and gt trims at almost no price increase. $500-700 is the typical price increase on a model year change when nothing new is being offered. this is a very pleasant surprise that made me glad i waited.

on a different note, can anyone tell me if the back up camera was standard on the 2013 touring trim like it is on the 2014?

Back