eBay t2 turbo manifold

:
2003.5 mazdaspeed protege
I saw an eBay manifold with t2 footing. I was wondering if it will work with the stock turbo setup?

I mean as a direct replacement where the piping on the exhaust side and hot pipe will match?

This looks like a thunder manifold copy, so I was thinking ot might work.

My car is basically stock, just the stock manifold is cracked beyond repair. And PO jb weld the hell out of it.

$_3.JPG
$_3.JPG

Yes, it's a "direct replacement" but it will probably require tweaking to make it fit. The bolt holes aren't exactly perfect, but it's manageable. I would recommend you do two (2) things before installing the manifold should you opt to use it:

-Have the manifold re-welded at basically every mating point.
-Have the flanges planed.

I used one for 5,000+ miles and it has started cracking when I removed it.

Got it. Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of making some relief cut also.

For $179 I thought it might be good to try it out. Since I can't find any stock used manifold around lately.

Hmm....5k miles doesn't seem like much if anything. Maybe getting like 10-15 would totally be worth it. I'm also thinking about picking this up.

Hmm....5k miles doesn't seem like much if anything. Maybe getting like 10-15 would totally be worth it. I'm also thinking about picking this up.

It isn't. I just bought a car with one that was installed in August and the car sat for 3 months of the time since due to a supposed rod knock. The manifold only had about 4 months of daily use and it was all cracked up in the back. If you like working on the car regularly and can weld I guess it makes some tiny amount of sense, but they are NOT well made.

20150228_115433.jpg

Spend the money and buy something that will last - mine, steedspeed, MAM, etc... These cars are constantly abandoned as not worth fixing, are not respected for a lack of reliability, and often sit more than they are driven. Don't add to the problem with crappy parts.

Last edited:
It isn't. I just bought a car with one that was installed in August and the car sat for 3 months of the time since due to a supposed rod knock. The manifold only had about 4 months of daily use and it was all cracked up in the back. If you like working on the car regularly and can weld I guess it makes some tiny amount of sense, but they are NOT well made.

View attachment 210420

Spend the money and buy something that will last - mine, steedspeed, MAM, etc... These cars are constantly abandoned as not worth fixing, are not respected for a lack of reliability, and often sit more than they are driven. Don't add to the problem with crappy parts.

Well said.

I understand I'm being plain cheap. But I'm going to reweld all the mating point, and make relief cuts to it. I will keep everyone posted on the results after making these "improvements"

Those 5,000 miles were probably some of the hardest miles an MSP has ever seen

i'd get some metal gaskets before you install it as well. Those foil/fiber gaskets that most manifold/exhausts come with are garbage

oem spec felpros seem to be just fine and cheap. though once you have spend the money to get it reinforced, you could almost be at a pope ;) I guess if you buy that consider it a short term fix. Id prob avoid it and go with a good quality used one, or just dont fix it til you can afford to replace the manifold ONCE with a proper one. cracked manifold isnt gonna hurt anything other than your ego.

Thanks for all the input. I have a welding machine at home and I also got a angle grinder. So the cost is relatively low. I also found the seller on AliExpress and it ended up only costing $147. I will go with the metal gasket now also since Brian k mentioned it.

Search ebay for OBX graphite manifold gaskets for a Protg. Best manifold gaskets I've ever used. Especially for this manifold....

This will work..gaskets suck..bolts to small and come loose(turbo to mani) i got some bolts and nuts at Home
depot and don't get loose..have it still but o2 sensor can't be removed..works though..three bolts don't line up with head.

This will work..gaskets suck..bolts to small and come loose(turbo to mani) i got some bolts and nuts at Home
depot and don't get loose..have it still but o2 sensor can't be removed..works though..three bolts don't line up with head.

Yeah, don't use ANY of the hardware they provided you.

my ebay one was reinforced with a brace between the in/out flanges,

working for one full year until the beginning of march it starts leaking around lower right corner (was able to tighten the lower right nuts slightly, but cant seal the leak)

(i didnt do any detail inspection on it yet, my guess is that flange changed shape due to extreme cold weather)

Back