e-brake sticking on cold mornings

chuyler1

goes to eleven
:
2013 CX-9
I leave my car in neutral with the ebrake on overnight all the time. On rainy mornings sometimes the pads stick to the rotors and I get a little clunk when I drive off. I'm guessing that is harmless.

However, on really cold mornings the passenger side rear brake sticks and holds tight for a few miles down the road. I'm guessing that the ebrake cable is stuck. It has happened 3 times this winter on me. On my way to work today I got frustrated when it didn't loosen up and pulled really really hard on the ebrake handle while driving. It was enough to loosen it and I heard a pop from the rear and things were fine. The ebrake still works so I hope I didn't break anything.

So is there something that needs lubrication?

Yes, the cable connects to a level on the caliper. The hinge points on that level might benefit from a little shot of lubricant. Other than a little premature wear on the rear pads, I don't think you've sustained any damage.

mine just started doing this as well. i was guessing that the caliper was sticking and needed to be regreased. i will try just spraying that cable point and see if that helps.

Mine is definitely the cable but it's too friggen cold to go out and pull my wheel off to lubricate it. I have been leaving it in Reverse instead of using the e-brake. When I pull up on it in the morning it thunks/pops. Pressing hard on the brake pedal does not cause a thunk.

chuyler1 said:
Mine is definitely the cable but it's too friggen cold to go out and pull my wheel off to lubricate it. I have been leaving it in Reverse instead of using the e-brake. When I pull up on it in the morning it thunks/pops. Pressing hard on the brake pedal does not cause a thunk.
thats true. the brake pedal seems to be working fine. well then i'm glad i found this thread so that i didnt tear apart my caliper when all i need is to lubricate one spot..

Great info. I always wondered what the clunk was. And it is only when it rains or its real cold.

Alrighty folks. Last weekend I (with the help of NEPOC) removed the brake calipers and cleaned off the slides and rubber gaskets, re-greased the slides, and reassembled everything.

It is STILL sticking.
I don't know if it is the cable or the caliper but it held tight for my wife's 20 minute ride to work today and she said the pads smelled bad when she got out of the car but wasn't red-hot. She could pull the ebrake up and down with no tension. It eventually popped and broke free when she turned into a parking lot.

It is going to be cold tonight so I will have her set the ebrake and tomorrow morning I will jack the car up and inspect visually. What should I look for?

I suppose I could try disconnecting the ebrake cable...and if the caliper is still stuck, it will rule out the cable.

Back