E-85?

speedin

:
MSP 03.5
has anybody ever tried running E-85 in thier MSP? I have not yet but thinking about it as my buddy learned on the subi forum he goes on that this guy has been running a mixture of E-85 and 93 octane for four years with no issues. i get that the MSP and the WRX are not the same car and not the same engine, ecu and so on. he tried it today on his car at about a 25-75 mixture (E-85 to 93) and can not believe the difference in performance.

Its not going to affect performance unless you can control or alter the ignition and add

some timing. You also need bigger injectors to compensate for the extra fuel that is

going to be used. I was running 440's with a stock ECU and didnt have any problems.

the guy my buddy read about did upgrade injectors and fuel pump. he on the other hand is basically stock. so for the MSP we might be able to see an advantage with changing to 440's?

No, not unless you are pretty modded and need more fuel, you wont need 440's

Ummmmm, no. You need bigger injectors to compensate for the extra fuel

that is needed. You usually need about 25-30% for fuel to make the same

amount of power. With the 440's and the stock ECU, my fuel trim was only @

-2.5%. I ran this setup for about 6 months with no trouble-but i decided that

I wanted to run more boost(even more fuel), so I dumped the E85 and used

premium gas.

I run E-85 when gas prices go up...such as right now for the last few weeks...been doing this for quite some time now when prices aren't what I want to pay...no problems here...although I have heard that extended use can cause rubber lines to fail prematurely...

So you have to have more fuel because it does not burn the same as normal 93 octane gas? Im sorry guys im completely lost.

I thought that it would not really matter.

you need more E85 to make the same power as gas since the stochiometric mixture is like 8:1 AFR compared to the 14.6:1 of regular gas

also E85 has an octane of around 105_ish so it resists knocking better and it is supposed to have a cleaning effect on the engine parts

I run E-85 when gas prices go up...such as right now for the last few weeks...been doing this for quite some time now when prices aren't what I want to pay...no problems here...although I have heard that extended use can cause rubber lines to fail prematurely...

You shouldnt run e85 unless you are running bigger injectors and are tuned

for it. Even though it is cheaper at the pump-you are not getting the same

MPG compared to pump gas, so it basically comes out to be the same price.

You shouldnt run e85 unless you are running bigger injectors and are tuned

for it. Even though it is cheaper at the pump-you are not getting the same

MPG compared to pump gas, so it basically comes out to be the same price.

I haven't seen a decrease in MPG...I consistently get around 29-30 city...no matter what I am running...

I see. So scratch do you tune your car for E-85? or do you just put it in the tank and go?

I just put it in and go...we do it with all three of the cars...95 Accord and 89 F-150 and have not a single problem with any of them...mileage isn't affected either...but we don't run off of it primarily...

say waht!!!!! you put e85 in your P5? why would you do that?i know its cheaper but its not that much cheaper to really make a difference is it

i've never heard of anyone doing that without tuning for it

it shouldnt run techinically, since at a AFR of 14.6:1 the ethanol should be detonating before the spark plugs fire...since the car is still running the same ecu which is tuned for gas

Down here where I get it, it was $.38 cheaper than 87 was...and when you fill up about every 3 days that is worth it to me...

dam, i still cant get over that your car even runs with that

i wouldnt do it too often if i was you, you might mess up your engine

Back