Dynotronics remote tune - reviews/reports?

I think it's around 7.2k now. I've been playing with where to shift 1->2 but haven't done anything too scientific/controlled.

I don't remember what the actual rev limit has been bumped to, but I quite vividly remember that beyond a certain number of rpms (6.5k? 7k?), the 2's engine just isn't really make power anymore. The only reason you'd want to keep the revs that high is in a situation where you know you are going to downshift soon after you've upshifted (eg. in autox).

I do think your fastest 0-60 is going to be with a 1->2 shift at a fair bit above the stock redline, probably right around 7k. You may not be gaining much power past 6.5k but you also want to hit 2nd closer to it's peak. Regardless though, combine the ability to delay the shift to 2nd a few hundred revs plus with a better torque curve around 3-4k and you end up with a much more lively feeling launch. I haven't timed anything, but I have to believe it's not just placebo.

I do think your fastest 0-60 is going to be with a 1->2 shift at a fair bit above the stock redline, probably right around 7k. You may not be gaining much power past 6.5k but you also want to hit 2nd closer to it's peak. Regardless though, combine the ability to delay the shift to 2nd a few hundred revs plus with a better torque curve around 3-4k and you end up with a much more lively feeling launch. I haven't timed anything, but I have to believe it's not just placebo.
With the 1->2 shift, you are probably correct. The gearing of the 2 means that the revs drop off too much when we go from 1st to 2nd. For the subsequent shifts, however, I suspect I'd be happy enough to shift at around 6 - 6.5k rpm. The gearing seems to be quite decent after that very first shift.

Finally got around to loading the initial tune onto the car a last week. Coupled with a CAI and 92, the throttle response is definitely much more enjoyable than the stock crap.

Gotta get off my butt and install the header and get an exhaust made. Then I think I'll start logging. My laptop is massive.... :/

Tune_zps9rzo7xue_edit_1442599013549.png_zpsbsg37jee.jpeg

Run 1 is third DT tune done on a 100% stock car, but with a CS intake and hotpipes header added since then.
Run 3 is the first tune with new parts.
Run 5 is second tune with new parts.

Final 4th gear run yielded a corrected HP and Torque of 100 each.

Last edited:
Very nice, utmorpheus! I think this is my first time seeing a 2's dyno graphy. Didn't know there is a bit of a flat spot between 2400 to 3400 rpm with our engine, but the overall shape of the hp / tq curves are still very nice looking.

Thanks!

Gain of less than 2 hp and ft-lbs from intake and header? Doesn't seem right.

Just goes to show how good the tune was with the stock parts. Also keep in mind these were back to back dyno pulls with no time to settle the maps. I literally went from over a year on the tune to a little more than 15 seconds of idle time before pulling with the new files. I would not be surprised to pick up another 1-2HP after the maps settle, and once Joe has more than 10m to edit the tune files between runs.

However it provides a good idea of what to expect with a intake, header, and tune as no one else has posted an actual dyno map for any of these parts.

Don't get me wrong, the numbers with the OE hardware look great. Sure would be nice to see what the car would have put down that same day 100% stock though.

Received the Dynotronics Tuning kit today! (wiggle)

Now, just need to move the O2's and I'll be ready for Tuning.

Mike

Nice numbers.

Since my first reflash with ECUnleashed a 2 years ago, I gained some power with custom mods, but this year I will start working with a new tuner to improve my power since STF is getting really hard, so I got a baseline dyno today, at one of the best Tuners in Mn. on a Mustang dyno.

The AFR still looks not very good and that will be fixed by the tune later on, probably a 7 HP gain done by via remote...

123.7 HP/117.2 TQ

12041543_10156744661875377_725660329_o.jpg

Andres

Last edited:
I am going to purchase the tune very soon for my 2. I just need to know how long the first tune takes so I can plan accordingly. Also, is it worth is to buy the whole package to keep or should I just rent the hardware. The price is more attractive to rent, but I don't know how long each tune takes and how long I have to drive around until I can re flash the ECU to fine tune it. I am very excited to get the tune!

Thanks!

Nice numbers.

Since my first reflash with ECUnleashed a 2 years ago, I gained some power with custom mods, but this year I will start working with a new tuner to improve my power since STF is getting really hard, so I got a baseline dyno today, at one of the best Tuners in Mn. on a Mustang dyno.

The AFR still looks not very good and that will be fixed by the tune later on, probably a 7 HP gain done by via remote...

123.7 HP/117.2 TQ

12041543_10156744661875377_725660329_o.jpg

Andres

Those are indeed impressive numbers. Even the 10:1 shop mule with cams a long tube and tuned on 98 race gas was not even close to those numbers. Color me impressed

Those are indeed impressive numbers. Even the 10:1 shop mule with cahttp://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?54631-WTB-Miata-1-8L-NB-enginems a long tube and tuned on 98 race gas was not even close to those numbers. Color me impressed

This dyno was done with the only purpose to get a base line before my next mod. Always do that before a mod to keep record if the gains (+- 32 dyno runs on my car so far). Said that the 2 times I used a Mustang dyno, which people claim lower numbers compare to Dynojet ones, I got higher numbers . If you read my thread, back in May 2012 me and Font Dynoed our cars same day in Florida on a Mustang dyno, I got 114hp with Cai and full exhaust including headers. This was before my Ecunleashed reflash. Font car showed 106 Hp only with my Cai.
So from 114 HP before reflash to 123.7 HP after reflash and improved Cai seem about right.

Andres

Last edited:
This dyno was done with the only purpose to get a base line before my next mod. Always do that before a mod to keep record if the gains (+- 32 dyno runs on my car so far). Said that the 2 times I used a Mustang dyno, which people claim lower numbers compare to Dynojet ones, I got higher numbers . If you read my thread, back in May 2012 me and Font Dynoed our cars same day in Florida on a Mustang dyno, I got 114hp with Cai and full exhaust including headers. This was before my Ecunleashed reflash. Font car showed 106 Hp only with my Cai.
So from 114 HP before reflash to 123.7 HP after reflash and improved Cai seem about right.

Andres

Nope, sorry did not read, or even notice your thread before.

114 as a baseline is very good. Most of the M2's that we have done here have been in the 89-92 range with a good intake and exhaust, and about 110 after, so the delta of your sheets is about right for the old Piasini tune(ECUleashed) that we wrote with them several years ago.

Back