dunlops or khumo?

Hey all...

Well, I just priced the Khumos...the ASX and the SPT are the same price, and 4 new ones costs only $170 more than two Dunlop 5000M. So I am gonna go with the Kumhos due to the much better wet traction of them.

Anyone have comments on the treadwear of these two tires...i.e. whcih one might last longer?

Basically, I have winter tires (2 years old). Looking for replacement for my Dunlop 5000M on my car for the other 3 seasons.

I am leanning toward the ASX since they are all season and maybe next winter or the winter after, my winter tires will be done and at least I could use the ASX.

What do ya think? I know the SPT are strictly summer and are probably better performing tires than the ASX, but do you guys think it is worth getting the "all season" benefit of the ASX, especially since I have a few years already on my winter tires.

Remember, I am trying to do this on a budget....I'm poor:(

Thanks guys (and gals!)

The ASXs will definitely last longer than the SPTs.

From TireRack.com...
ASX Treadwear rating: 420
SPT Treadwear rating: 320

I'm not really clear on what you're asking with regard to your winter tires?

In general, the set of 4 ASXs will be your cheapest route. You can run them all year long, but they won't grip like the SPTs. If you buy the SPTs, you'll have to have winter or all-season tires for the winter months. You'll also have to either purchase a second set of steel rims or pay to have tires swapped on/off your stock rims twice a year.

I had a set of dunlop sport fm 901's, they lasted 40,000, they do wear pretty good. Kuhmo's are to damn loud, if you wanna hear your tires humming over your radio they'd be the way to go

In two winters, either the ASX's are going to be pretty worn down. I don't think they'd be much good in a Halifax winter by that point. Your best bet is to get the tire you want now and deal with the winters issue when the time comes. If you look you can probably find a used set for a good deal.

Another option for you is to head to the states on a road trip and pick up a set of the BF goodrich G-Force Sports. Tire-Rack has them for a great price and you could get them ordered to the nearest shop. The treadwear rating on the BF's is pretty high. I'm gonna go with them next.

My two cents, anyway.

Good luck.

To recoup some of the cost, you could try to sell the two dunlops to someone returning their leased car.

2k2silvermp5 said:
Kuhmo's are to damn loud, if you wanna hear your tires humming over your radio they'd be the way to go

I didn't have that experience at all. Mine were nice and quiet (unless I was going through a corner WAY too fast). :D

I don't have any experience with the SPTs, but I am running the ASXs right now.

As others have mentioned, they are much better than the stock Dunlops in the rain, and especially in the snow. Having said that, I wouldn't exactly say they are good in the snow. The week after I put them on we had a storm, and it took me about an hour to move the car 20 ft. And it was pushed for 15ft. The snow was deep (unplowed parking lot), and not necessarily representative of what you would regularly drive on, but I was still quite disappointed. If you use winter tires now, you will likely be horrified by the ASXs in the snow.

Furthermore, for all the bashing of the stock Dunlops, I thought they were far more fun to drive on in dry weather. Better steering response and better braking. They were also quieter. The ASXs get loud quickly as they wear.

The ASXs do seem to have a long tread life, which is unfortunate because I would like to get rid of them sooner rather than later.

If you are still reading after all my babbling, I suggest going with the SPTs and buying new winter tires when necessary. It should definitely be worth it if you plan to keep the car for a while.

If you want to stay with all-seasons, another poster already mentioned it, but I have heard great things about the Falken Ziex Ze512s, both here and at consumer reports (for whatever that's worth). The Pirelli PZero Neros also seem to be well regarded.

I haven't personally tried it, but it's my understanding that you can fit a 205/50/16 tire on the stock 16"x6" rim. The speedo error is only 1.7%, and it opens up a whole new world of tire selections.

newprot5fan said:
WEll, time to tire shop.

I need some tires for the non winter months. I have two "new" dunlop 5000M, so I either need to buy 2 more or buy 4 new tires (khumo ecsta ASX or SPT I think).

The Khumos are quite cheaper, but I heard much better than the Dunlops (based on all the reviews I have read). It will come out to close to the same price either way since the dunlops are more expensive.

I don;t race, but I do like to have fun driving my car. I am in Nova Scotia so it is rainy here therefore wet raction is an important factor (something that the Dunlops lack it seems)

Any suggestions? I am leaning toward the khumos....If you think that is a good idea, then which is better, the ASX or SPT.

Thanks again!
960 a/s pole positions is what i use on my gt and they seem to be pretty good.

according to tirerack...the wet braking was only .5 ft difference from dry. and dry was pretty damn good considering it is a a/s.

the sidewall seems stiff.

the stickest a/s i ever had was the proxes 4's but the sidewall felt like gell.

don't waste the money on the perelli nero m+s. they tramline and do not hold a balance. stickyness wasn't impressive. very nice sidewall though.

tpt from toyo are worthless.

yes...205-50-16 fit fine and run fine with no issues. (peralli M+S)

Last edited:
Kuhmos are awesome and cheap... What more do you want...?
I've been on the kuhmos for a while now and I love them.
I have the summer tires so wet traction isnt the best but it's still better than the Dunlops. My rear Dunlops will break loose in the wet before the front Kuhmos do.
Go with the Kuhmos

since were on the tire subject, do tire companies make 225/40/16 tires? if so who makes them and would they fit?

Last edited:
Matthew1785 said:
since were on the tire subject, do tire companies make 225/40/16 tires? if so who makes them and would they fit?

225/45/16 is a closer match to the stock diameter. Either way, based on tirerack's search results, they are both uncommon sizes and there isn't much for a selection. It's probably a moot point, since 225 sounds too wide, at least without doing other modifications to fit the tire.

www.tirerack.com is a very useful resource for researching tire availability in different sizes. They don't have every brand (Falken), but it is a good start.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html is also a handy bookmark if you plan on using non-stock sizes.

Back