Dunlop Direzza Star Spec

Southbay

:
Mazdaspeed 3
Ive had Dunlop Direzza Star Spec's (235/40/18) on my 08 MS3 for abt 20,000 mi now. By the time they wore down about half way, they became EXTREMELY noisy. At low speed they rumble a bit, then at about 40 mph or so they begin to whine. The faster you go, the louder they whine, and whine, and WHINE.

The comfort is OK, and the grip (in the dry) is excellent (in the wet its terrible). But I cant stand all that noise. I cant wait until they wear out so I can put sometime more civilized on. . . . Probably Bridgestone RE-11, which people say outperforms the Dunlops . . . and is more civilized.

I have the exact same tires on my MS3, with the only exception being that I'm running 225/45/18. I have never experienced this excessive noise. I am currently on my second set of star specs. My first set lasted slightly less than 10,000 miles. I do have a question, with the 235 do you have any rubbing issues??? Are you running the stock wheels???

I have a set of 245/40/18 on my MS3, with around 20,000 miles on them and 60% front 50% rear.. I don't get much road noise from them at all. (dunno)

I have the exact same tires on my MS3, with the only exception being that I'm running 225/45/18. I have never experienced this excessive noise. I am currently on my second set of star specs. My first set lasted slightly less than 10,000 miles. I do have a question, with the 235 do you have any rubbing issues??? Are you running the stock wheels???

Stock wheels -- no rubbing. There's space to go even wider . . . but wouldn't want to do that on the stock wheel.

Yah, in my experience they were as noisy as hell. Tests by Car & Driver, and GRMS confirmed that. Got the RE-11's on there now - a better performing tire and a lot less noisy. they do cost more . . .

245/40/18
Dang really? I had 235/40/18s yoko s.drives on my MS3 and hated how the tire bowed out over the rim from being wider. Sidewall was super weak.

I'd love to run on some Star spec I'm just afraid of the noise people talk about and the short life. I'd be lucky to get 15k out of them.

Back